1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRF150R, KX85, Kayo or CR85?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by JBinSD, May 19, 2019.

1. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

5'11 190, mechanically challenged, want to get into a mini, perferably cheaply/realiably (I know thats an oxymoron).
    Checking out my local (San Diego) CL options, looks like there are some of each, mostly stock, none built for Mini RR. Any suggestions?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

so youre looking at "sooper bike" type minis?? XR/CRF 100 or TTR 125 with disk front. Both should be able to be purchased for under $1000 in excellent mechanical shape. Probably take another $500 to get the XR/CRF ready. Probably $600 on the TTR.

3. TurboBlew

4. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

If mechanically challenged you may wish to steer clear of the smokers as you'll def need to inspect
    top and bottom ends on a used bike to make sure it won't pitch you on yer head. I find the best tool
    for racing minis on a kart track is the 150R since you can push it into a corner, block, squirt it out.
    Presuming you get rid of the shite front OEM front brake. I also have a YZ85 which is actually my fave bike
    of all time :)

JBinSD likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

The 150R has a short service like on the topend... like 35 hours from new. I would bet any used version is going to require an inspection of the valve train. Plus its a 20+hp bike so that allows the rider to get lazy...lol.

The F model is more forgiving as a tool and a couple grand cheaper on the resale market.

JBinSD likes this.
  6. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on something like this? Chassis may be too small, it's probably cheap build, but. . . [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. TurboBlew

seems reasonable at 1800 ask... and guarantee youll have to work on the carb. :D $1500 would be a good price.
    Never priced spares on those though.

JBinSD likes this.
  8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I would not recommend the 150R for the mechanically challenged. The CR85 is damn near bulletproof, two stroke or not.

9. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Found a CR85 and a KX85 within a couple hundred miles, sounds like the front brake is more available for the CR, but the KX has more power? Is a 150 anywhere close to twice the power of the 85? the numbers would dictate, but. . .

10. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Nowhere near 'twice the power'. You're talking about a 2-stroke versus a 4-stroke. An 85 2-stroke and a 150 4-stroke are pretty damned close in total power. The 150R will be slightly easier to ride, but it will be appreciably more expensive to maintain long-term.

I'd take the CR85; seems to be more available for it versus the other 85s out there. But, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Ian178 likes this.
  11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Our CR85 flattracker was far and away the best race bike I have ever owned, and I have owned a few. As a mini moto, it will require more skill and finesse than the 150.

12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

13. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

14. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Rode some 85's and 150's today, both very fun. Considering building a 150, or buying a built 85, I think I have the bug. . .

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

JBinSD likes this.
  16. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Yeah, saw that, since I'm 5'11" and 190, the 65 chassis is a just too small, but thats about what I'm looking for, just in 85 or 150 trim. . .

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'd look/research the local Mini Series you're looking to race in and determine what bikes are allowed in the various classes.
    Then see what platform will allow you to run in the most classes or the classes you want to run in.

You may be saying, "DUH No SHIT!" It's kind of an obvious thing to do...but sometimes the obvious is overlooked.

Any way you slice it...Minis are a blast..you're going to have a shit ton of fun.

18. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Yep, we have a good mini community in SoCal, I just missed a good CRF85 build right by my office, I'm just not good with patience. . .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Pulled the trigger on an '08 CRF150R today, gobs of torque for a lil bike, but bone stock, now need wheels, brakes, suspension etc. . . Pic is too large to upload, grr.