1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Concours de Competition at Barber June 29th

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Today was the first day the museum began reviewing requests for invitations. As of 5 pm CST they had accepted 6 entries into the "go" class, so only 24 slots remain. The "show" class will have considerably more spaces available, but preference is given to those who register for both "go" and "show" classes. Don't delay, apply today. You still have 4 months to get it running, pretty and your exhibit made.

Hawk518 likes this.
  2. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

How will the two concours operate?
    There will be two concours run: a concours d’ competition (go class) with on track laps as well as display and a concours d’ elegance (show class) for static display. Once a participant has be accepted into the “go” classes they will also be given the opportunity to enter additional bikes in the “show” class. WERA members who are coming for the weekend racing are urged to bring similar retired race bikes which might not be currently running and enter them into the "show" class. We hope to attract 25 - 50 bikes for that class. The bikes will all be together in the concours area on the upper most tier of the paddock.
    Judging of the two classes will be done by different teams; one headed by Brian Slark and the other by Guy Reynolds. The "go" class will have 1st - 3rd trophies based upon a combination of the bike, its historical exhibit and its on track performance. The "show" class will have 1st - 3rd trophies awarded on the traditional concours standards of the bike and its presentation. There will also be a Best of Show trophy, which in all likelihood will be awarded to a bike in the "go" class. Both classes are open to road race machines eligible for WERA classes 250GP- 500GP and V1 - V6 and Formula 500 and Formula 2 stroke. Bikes in the show class do not have to be updated to present standard (belly pans, etc) but should be in either restored condition or preserved as last raced.
    Cleanliness and beauty are virtues, particularly in the "show" class. "Sounding right" and "going well" are even greater virtues in the "go" class. Good exhibits relating the history of the bike, rider or competition in its period can add significantly to the bike's appeal.

3. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Last year this meet looks like what I think is called a double header. Will this year's meet be such that you could enter a V6 race Saturday then a separate V6 race Sunday?
    I'm trying to work out what I can race and still participate in vintage judging.

4. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, same basic setup as last year. Race order may change and of course I have to make time for the Concours

6. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Sooo I guess if I can get it ready? The 1989 vfr400 just makes the year cutoff ?

7. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

VFR 400 (pre 1990) is listed as a V6LW. It is eligible for the concours. Send a picture and request to [email protected] requesting an invitation. Those are fairly rare and make a wonderful sound when unleashed. See if he wants to put it in the field.

8. Algonquin

Algonquin VRRA and DOCC no.92

1982 JJ Cobas Rotax 250 tandem twin but has non-period forks '89 TZ250 brakes also not original bodywork. Are such issues discussion-killers?

9. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

In the Concours d'Competition "go" class we will be judging bikes on two different basis: restored or preserved. Restored is returned to either as built or as raced at a particular moment in the bike's history. Preserved is as raced at the bike's last event. A bike may have been updated during it career to have components which are outside of its original period. While that might force it to race in a later vintage class, it does not eliminate it from the Concours competition. Please consider applying for an invitation. I would love to see (and especially to hear) a Rotax 256 running again.

10. Theother46

Theother46 Active Member

Will belly pans be required?. Some historic bikes with open bottom areeas on fairings might be difficult to accommodate without modifying original parts so people should be sure they are aware of what is required.

11. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Yes. For the track portion belly pans are required. To go on the track the bikes must pass the same tech inspection as other vintage race bikes. They may be temporary and removed before the judging so not to detract from the appearance.

12. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

I have a Yamaha TA125 that I'd like to bring. It currently has a wire-mesh and absorbent oil catcher which meets AHRMA tech rules.

13. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

I think WERA vintage tech inspectors accept AHRMA approved oil retention systems, but Mongo needs to state for sure. We would love to see and hear one of those little twins again. Hope to see you out there.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, that'd work fine.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

How about a 73 ironhead sportster? It would not have a fairing, just an oil retention pan and maybe a quarter or half fairing.

16. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

I remember watching a race at Road Atlanta in 1974 where a sportster ran. It would make real progress headed up the hill into turn 5 only to lose everything it gained on the back straight to the inline fours. If you have one with race history send in an application so we can look at it. Hearing one run again would be fun.

17. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Kenny Conley?

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The bike does not have any race history, it will be a replica of a period correct roadracing ironhead sportster. I have the history, having started racing with WERA in 1977. Does that work? The bike is V3 eligible with WERA.

19. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

That could work although you are going to have to be a bit creative on your display. There certainly is history to be told about the Harley small V-twins in roadracing in the period (Rayborn, Lucifer's hammer) . Looking forward to seeing what you can put together.

20. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

I'm all signed up, see you there.