1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much gas is left in your tank?

Discussion in 'General' started by jrsamples, May 15, 2019.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Watching as my dad fades away. It looks like he will have both legs amputated soon and was diagnosed with lung cancer this week. His biggest problem (to me) is that he seems to have given up on life. He refuses to exercise his upper body anymore. He has gone back to smoking. And sitting. And showing an outlook that depresses the shit out of me whenever I am around him. My mother does everything for him with the exception of the controls on the remote.

Anyhoo, this made me think about how much time that I have remaining.....what I want to do.....what I don't want to do.....how much money I have to do what I want to do......most of it revolves around riding the Hyper in remote locations.

It seems to me that a person has to know when to pull the trigger, and that starts with a decent estimate of how long one might live. The one thing that I know for sure is that there is no way that I could live like he does. I couldn't handle someone waiting on me hand and foot, not to mention the depression and boredom.

This seems legit: http://www.poodwaddle.com/life/

Anyone have other pointers for playing the last few innings of life? I don't think that anyone should fuck this part up by not having a plan and executing said plan.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I turned 40 last year, got divorced, and generally am starting over completely, so this is all relevant. I hope that I'm able to get things back in order and actually enjoy life before I'm too old to do so.

SGVRider and jrsamples like this.
  3. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I worry about this exact situation myself.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I don't give a sweet flying fornicate about me, once I survive long enough to get my girls through school and on their way into a productive adulthood, whatever takes me out better be efficient. I've enjoyed myself up to now, have no bucket list to check things off from, and will face the dirt nap without trepidation.

Which is easy enough to say when you're 49, and in the pink health-wise, I suppose.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I am always one uncontrolled bowel movement away from exiting this rock.

joec likes this.
  6. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

TD can be a deadly and should be taken seriously.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Damn that would be depressing if it wasn't total BS clickbait... says I have 19 years left- at least 11 of it I'll still be working

And sorry about your Dad.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, I've got 15 months before the big 60. I want to think I'm still in pretty damn good shape for my age. I play tennis a couple times a week, ride a bicycle 20+ miles, bang the drums with the boys every Thursday and ride my motorcycle every day. But shit can happen. My little brother walked into the doctors office 8 years ago with sinus pressure and found out he had stage 3 brain cancer (he's a survivor...does 3 out of the 4 things above with me). But that just shows that life happens day to day.

So, on that note, I do have a short term plan. If my son's girlfriend does not make the 2020 Olympic team, I'm asking for a months sabbatical from work and ride to; Alaska, Newfoundland or the Canadian Rockies (Banff). Or I might just head west through the southern route and come back to the north. I'm just going somewhere.

I'm going to live my future life like the old saying goes...No tombstone ever read, "I wished I had worked more".

BigBird and dobr24 like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Effin youngsters. Just enjoy what you have and STFU.

Gixxerguy855, Cannoli, 5axis and 3 others like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yeah. Hair. A waistline. Stamina. Footprints on your lawn. :D

Newsshooter and Sabre699 like this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I’m absolutely doing a month long motorcycle tour at some point in the near future!

galloway840 likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m learning, I should’ve lived when I had my health. As my health continues to worsen, I’m learning I can no longer live.

I completely sympathize with your dad. As the saying goes, “Walk a mile in another man’s shoes and you’ll understand, then.”.

Senna and jrsamples like this.
  13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Your father has had some life altering events dumped into his lap. If it's depressing for you, just think how much more it's depressing for him. Possibly assist him with seeking mental health assistance.

I understand your position. The divorce thread has advice about things will get better but that depends on your perspective. No one in that thread mentions any stigma associated with divorce.

:stupid:
    I'm working towards this NOW!

Thats how I hope to go, quick, painless and no burden to the ones that I leave behind.

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

It's once in a rare occurrence that these type of threads surface on the beeb. :flag:

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Enjoy it or or be miserable. You will die regardless, could be tomorrow, or 50 years from now, you ain't getting out alive. Your options are somewhat limited

cav115 likes this.
  16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Sorry about your dad's condition. Seeing them going, fading, however slowly or rapidly, is one of the toughest things to endure for me. We need to enjoy them while they are still here and relatively healthy.

BigBird likes this.
  17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Not enough to deal with Atlanta traffic

YamahaRick likes this.
  18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Sorry about your dad bud.

As for me? I'm 55 and I'll be thrilled to make it to 70. I've ran hard my whole life and no doubt I'm gonna go earlier than I should. And it will probably be pretty ugly. But, I had ALOT of fun and did cool shit that most people only dream about. So, yeah my lifestyle is definitely gonna cut my life short. It was worth it though.

5axis, Wingnut, R1M370 and 3 others like this.
  19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

It's funny that since having the kid, I feel this way more and more.

Get Raina set up and then I can go calmly into that goodnight.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be miserable and I'd like a quality of life but it's definitely less about me.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You know what though, after having gotten my offspring out the door and on their way to productive lives...yeah, it fucking is about me! I did my job as #1 dad so it's my god damn turn. And I told them that.