1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on cardio machines - Airbikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by blkduc, May 10, 2019.

1. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

So I've been building my home gym and I'm in good shape on weights, I've got a full power rack now and I'm adding slowly. I need a good cardio machine. I am going to give up running because it's killing my knees, this is why I need a machine.
    I recall a while back, (but can't find it) a discussion about those fan bikes. I seem to recall a bunch of people here saying they were awesome. I've never used one. Can those that have done them educate me a bit?
    I'm thinking about an elliptical, skier, or one of those fan bike things.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If it was me, I’d be looking at the Pro-Form Le Tour de France exercise bike.

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I don't know what your budget is, but if you've got some coin, I can't level enough praise for a skill mill. And my knees are pretty much totaled. Any treadmill activity turns into swelling and a real understanding of how people get hooked on opiods. The skill mill is where it's at. Best of all, it's nearly lethal for some. :D :D :D

Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I REALLY want an assault bike (fan bike). Right now I have a treadmill and get my hiit cardio via jump rope and kettlebells, but one of those bikes would be amazing. I also really need a rowing machine.

5. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

I love to hate the assault bike. Great workout, better than rowing IMHO

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That machine would offer far less impact than typical cardio workouts and the stooped position looks absolutely brutal. Beast mode engaged. Haha.

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Broome.

8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I like my bicycle/smart trainer combo but if I was going to put one machine in my gym it would be a concept II rowing machine.

Razor85 likes this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Sweeping isn't a workout.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. blkduc

That looks cool but holy cow not $10k cool. I'm thinking more like cheap off craiglsist :D. I found a used fan bike (or whatever their called) for cheap.

Yeah that looks nice but I don't even want to imagine the pricetag.

11. blkduc

12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

There’s zero reason to buy a dedicated workout bike. Get a gravel bike, wheel off smart trainer and iOS device to control it. Tired of working out indoors? Take your gravel bike and hit some roads or trails. Best of all worlds. Going on vacation with the family? Bring it and hit up whatever’s local.

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

What he said. Get a real bike in your preferred style and hook it up to a trainer (smart or dumb). Get a Zwift subscription and go virtual if you want to stay indoors. Or, even better, go outside weather permitting and enjoy the real thing, there's nothing better.

michaelrc51 likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

~$1100. For what it does, it’s a steal.

15. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Fan (airdyne) bikes have always been used as a form of torture in any sport I’ve played or at academies I’ve attended. If for some reason you couldn't make the run due to injury they would strap you to the bike for cardio. Those things are monotonous and torture to keep your heart rate up.
    It would literally be the last piece of cardio equipment I would ever buy.

Ride safe,
    AAron

16. blkduc

So what I just read from you is they are efficient...check! :D Seriously, that sounds perfect and it won't destroy my knees anymore.

17. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Sure.
    Guaranteed in a year the last thing you will want to do is sit on that thing with your arms moving.
    Know why gyms don’t have em?
    People don’t like them.
    It’s extremely hard to keep you heart rate up on those.
    Lots of things are efficient ... being able to do them repeatedly for long periods of time are key with exercise equipment.

It’s a stationary bike that’s difficult and the position sucks. Lol

But go for it.:crackup:

Ride safe,
    AAron

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Just pick a decent one. I employ guys who work in basements, so I put an APB out for one. Found one quickly and the owner was pumped to have some cash and more space. :D

It's an older schwinn airdyne. Makes a little more noise than the modern ones, but whatever. I love to hate the thing. I actually warm up for every workout with a tabata on the airdyne. It's the best.

No need to buy new, but if you do, the assault bikes I've seen are kinda junk. My gym bought five of them at once and we broke all five within a few months. The schwinns are nicer.

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Excuse me sir? The airdyne is hands down the fastest way to calculate max HR. You will redline quicker on it than doing anything else I can think of.

It's not a spin bike. You don't settle in for long cardio on it. It's used for short, high intensity intervals, typically as part of a circuit.

20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm thinking Ducati' may not have ever used one or is confused. Those things are a staple at my MMA gym and kick the living hell out of all of us. I hate them with passion, but damn do they work.