1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xr100 shock upgrades

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by tikki50, Jul 9, 2015.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I am toying with an idea on how to use a pit bike shock on an XR. Gonna have to make some new linkage pieces, but that won't be that hard.

2. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

3. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ that JRI has preload and rebound? Better price than the Works. Still at this point too much $$$ for my cheap XR lol.

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

One more hour and I'm at Grattan. :D

5. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

where can i get it at this price?

thanks

6. sharky nrk

7. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

yeah it says 235 not 173 thats why i was asking. i cant seem to find it at that price

thanks for the help

8. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Where can you get the ohlins? I can't find nothing on it all?

9. sharky nrk

10. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

thank you

11. Mark Carlton

Mark Carlton New Member

12. sharky nrk

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

14. Mark Carlton

Mark Carlton New Member

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Good to know! Is it better than a sagged out stock shock from the previous century? Maybe better for off road than pavement?

16. Mark Carlton

Mark Carlton New Member

It's not good for anything. The stock Showa shock only has damping on the rebound stroke, none on the compression stroke. This cheap Chinese shock has no damping in either direction, so it basically makes your bike a pogo stick... bad for pavement, worse for off-road. You can't even use the spring from it on the stock damper, as it doesn't fit.

Keep in mind that whoever is selling these on eBay bought them from China, paid for transportation to the USA, paid duties on them, as well as eBay and PayPal fees when they sell it... and still makes a profit. It's junk.

The Vonkat shock, however, is the real deal...

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    pscook likes this.
  17. backcountryme

18. backcountryme

I drilled a hole in my stock shock and brazed a fitting on it so that I could change the oil weight. It wasn't perfect, but it did help a fair bit.

19. Mark Carlton

Mark Carlton New Member

Your experience with DNM is much better than mine, then. Years ago I bought 2 new inverted downhill mountain bike forks direct from the factory, and both had wept oil into their boxes. Machining work looked good, but after just a few rides they were gushing oil better than Jed Clampett's well!

People I've talked to who have the DNM for XR/CRF100 have told me two things: that the shock is 3/8ths inch too long, and the 650 lb. spring is too light. To install it, it has to be compressed by 3/8ths (not a fun task), so when installed, the 3/8ths of travel stays in the body of the shock. Also, since the shock is too long, it tops out not inside the shock, but by the linkage colliding with the swingarm.

The BBR aftermarket spring is 975 lbs, the Vonkat is around 1000. The only way the 650 lb. DNM spring can be made to work is by dialing the 20-click compression to 19-20 clicks, and trust me, you don't want to use oil and a shim stack to compensate for a spring that's too light. Tends to make things on the inside go boom!

Another of my own observations is that a hose-connected reservoir probably shouldn't be connected to the moving (swingarm) side of the shock for wear considerations... just my thought.

backcountryme likes this.
  20. backcountryme

Good to hear. I haven’t used DNM stuff in a long time. Sounds like the went downhill. It’s a shame, because the forks and shocks I was dealing with were decent quality back in the day. I rode one of their upside down style downhill forks for years without a single leak. It sucks to hear the quality tanked.