1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chevy Colorado ZR2: Anyone own one?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 20, 2019.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I could sell my Tacoma tomorrow for about $1K less than I paid for it 10 years ago. It is insane, the thing isn't worth that in my eyes, although my frame hasn't rusted through yet like so many others.
    Problem is, trucks are all priced in the moronic range, so I'm not selling. If I am paying $50K+, it's on a multitude of cars far more worth it.

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

VintageWannabe and BigBird like this.
  3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Thx for all of the information, guys. I think I’m going to cross the Chevy off my list. Too much if a gamble, IMO, with GM quality. I might go with the TRD Pro. Not sure yet.
    Thx again.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Way too much $ for that truck.

sharkattack and brex like this.
  5. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

My '19 Z71 Colorado has been very good to me, and apart from the issue with transmission fluid causing the shuddering (which hasn't happened to me) and GM interior rattles (I have a couple small ones), the trucks are fantastic and very reliable. JMO. I got a better truck than the Tacoma for less money so i'm happy.

6. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Maybe it's a little too soon to call it reliable? Being brand new and all. :beer:

sharkattack and BigBird like this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

:crackup:

It's a Chevy, if it starts up after you bring it home from the dealer, you can definitely call that reliable. :D

ducnut, sharkattack and Bruce like this.
  8. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

Well yes, but I already have 12K miles on it. The drivetrains (apart from the transmission shudder) have proven reliable in prior model years. Think outside the Taco :moon:

9. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I bought a 3rd Gen 2016 Tacoma double cab TRD Off-Road 2 wheel drive for $35k OTD and have 88,000 miles.

Only issue was a dead battery at 18 months that wasn't covered because I had more than 24,000 miles

BigBird likes this.
  10. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Definitely drive the Tacoma a bit before pulling the trigger on it. I had one as a loaner vehicle last week (frame undercoating recall) and was rather underwhelmed at its performance. The transmission just can't stop shifting at even the slightest rise in the road. It drove fairly nicely but my 2010 with the 4.0 can lug at lower rpm and grunt it's way up hills or merge onto the interstate without banging down 2-3 gears.

R1Racer99 and sharkattack like this.
  11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Is the new Ford Ranger out yet? That may also be a consideration if a small truck is where you're desires for a vehicle are taking you.

I don't know much about the Chevy Colorado. I've seen a few on the road, and they definitely look good, in my opinion.

12. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Good call on the Chevy in my opinion. But I would seriously look at the Tundras if you’re willing to spend TRD Pro money. They are badass but that same price gets you a pretty nice tundra and just a little more gets you the nicest tundra they sell. I did some hard shopping recently and damn near signed the dotted line on a new Tacoma but I just can’t see how they justify the price of the pro. You can get the trd sport or off-road for at least $10k less (which is what I almost bought) and I just don’t see that big of a difference.

As someone else said, definitely drive one first and I’d suggest driving an auto and manual. For a truck they drive a bit odd. You sit very low in the cabin and the manual feels like driving a civic. Stiff, short engagement clutch and short throw shifter. It actually kinda turned me off. The trds also probably have the worst ride of anything in their class but I never cared about that. Driven trucks (mostly full size) my whole life so it feels plenty normal to me and the tradeoff is on anything other than dry pavement it will destroy everything else on the market. Less creature comforts than some of the others but again not something I actually cared about. And for utility purposes (in cabin storage, bed usage) it is far superior. All in all, if I could justify the price of a new truck right now it’s still the way I’d go. But definitely do your research as there are some quirks that may bother you more than me.

13. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I don't have much to compare it to but I love the 4.0 in my Tacoma. Very torquey and surisingly quick for the hp it makes.

14. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

My '17 V6 Impala with 23k miles has been less trouble than the last couple Hondas and Toyotas I owned (all cars). My Chevy HHR SS was strong, too. I wouldn't overstress too much on reliability if you're into the ZR2, just stay away from that 8-speed auto. The diesel uses the older (and reliable) 6-speed.

15. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

2014 Nissan Frontier..4 cyl, 5 speed manual, AC , rollups..stripper.
    85k miles ..changed nothing but oil..reliable ? Yeah...nice truck ? Not really.

16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

9 years of owning my Tacoma I have changed oil, greased the driveshaft, air filters (don't bother with K&N), replaced front pads, changed a battery and tires. -50 in the winters with wind chill to 110 in the summer and it hasn't let me down.

Honestly, my next truck will be a Tundra though due to wanting a bigger bed when I actually use it. When Toyota put that 3.5 in I kinda lost my interest in them....after driving one for a few days it justified my opinion. I was driving the Sport model (rode nice, handled well, the dash and the hyperactive transmission were the downsides).