1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motoamerica predictions 2020 and beyond

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., May 7, 2019.

1. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

I'll go out on a limb here. Brace for the usual banter.
    The stock 1000 class goes away.. The Superbike class continues to grow, I hope. Need more teams up there for racer opportunity. The pyramid is too pointy right now. The twins class remains stable, aprilia and perhaps KTM get in the game.The 300 class becomes the 400, 450, or even a production 500 class if manufacturers get in for dominance and engines up in size.. Kawasaki leads with a new 450 then it's on.
    An added class, pre-Moto 3 will be a step up from production ULWT to showcase and groom talent for those who are Moto GP driven. Honda NSF250 and the like.. Just my thoughts I'm ready to bob and weave. Lots of smart people in here, what's y'all think?

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

There will never be a successful Moto3 type class in America. Period.

The twins class and Jr cup class are popular because of pricepoint.

Same as the reason Superbike is so low in rider count. Pricepoint. Which is sad because there’s a Lott of money in America, but it’s spent on Stick and ball sports.

Hell, Lebron could fund a complete MotoGP effort with a years worth of endorsements.

Gino230, Senna and Newyork like this.
  3. Scott S.

Thanks for the input. What gets manufacturers excited anymore? Sales? At one point a few decades ago they basically created, drove and grew the market. These days they seem to be on snooze control.

4. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the "factory" teams keep becoming less "factory" due to dwindling manufacturer support and the superbike class turns into a privateer led and funded class (kind of like BSB).

We already have teams like Westby, Attack and Hammer that are able to run at the pointy end of the field and I bet Graves will come in next year with a ZX10R ridden by Lee or Debise. I could see teams like Rickdickulous build an R1 for Gillim and Celtic could build an R1, Ape or Duc for PJ.

What I think they should do with the Jr Cup, Stock 1000 and Twins Cup is make it an East/West coast championship (like Supercross does with the 250 class) which would reduce costs for the racers not needing to travel out west to keep a championship run going and maybe entice more racers to show up. Then have a east/west shootout at Barber at the end of the season. MA would have to add a few more west coast races though to make that happen.

5. Scott S.

Your last paragraph about an east-west split with a run off is good. I've heard it mentioned before. Racers who live west incure crazy logistical costs to run a full season now

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hmmm, only two seasons away?

Superbike: I see a few more "Attack" style teams coming in. Smart team owners with some tuning smarts behind them. Westby and Attack can not be the only ones out there with the drive to run with the big dawgs. I also see KWR making the move up the ladder. I also see two other of the big four coming in, maybe not as full factory but with some heavy support behind them (The Cow brands is already headed this way with Chuck).

The other classes? Man, I don't know.
    600s will be fine and a major growth is coming again.
    The twins? No idea. I may not like them but I can't deny the grid sizes and the participation. They just need to clean up their pits and get less "outlaw" and more "corporate."
    They need a new class to replace the 1000 "stock" bikes. I don't know what it is but it needs to be something that the average smuck can relate to and grabs them by the balls.
    The little bikes? They need this class or something similar for the kids.

All motoamerica needs to grab another gear is cash and a few major sponsors who see the benefits of the series.

What do I really see. Motoamerica becoming the premier national race series, passing BSB. 2020? Might be too soon but definitely by 2022.

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

This is nothing against the teams and racers running Stock 1000, but I think the class needs to go away. Hopefully those teams and riders will split between stepping up to Superbike and stepping over to Supersport, filling out both of those grids a little better. I realize they might lose a few of them too. One less class will also help the schedule on the 2 days weekends if they are planning on keeping that going.

East / West on the twins cup is probably not a bad idea if they can get enough West coast races. The Jr. cup should probably run all the rounds. Those kids need exposure of running a full blown national championship if they are going to get noticed enough to move over to WSS300 or CEV Moto3. This is because I look at the two classes differently. Twins Cup is for kids stepping up from Jr. Cup, but not quite ready for SS due to budget or rider size and for club racers to step up and have fun on the national stage. The Jr. Cup can either be a starting place for running a national series or possibly a stepping stone to Europe for the younger kids.

I also predict twins cup will pull back in numbers a bit as the budgets, time, and effort for some of the folks doing it now are probably good for a year or two so they can say they ran a national championship. There will still be plenty of bikes, but probably in the 25-30 range instead of nearly 40 they have now. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not enough support (ie fans paying to come to races) to do more West Coast races sadly.

Twins and Jr cup are great right now but will fall off as the club racers realize they can't go pro for club race money no matter how cool it is to call yourself a pro racer. Seen it over and over again with support classes. Sadly a lot of them will wind up out of racing altogether after spending so much for so little return.

track wagon and Pitmom42 like this.
  9. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Yamaha will go away.

10. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

11. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I noticed the SuperStock 1000 times are nearly identical to the Superbike times(they were running 1:27`s in SS as opposed to 1:24`s in SB).

The Superstock is exciting to watch but I agree, Michael Gilbert alone would be awesome to watch in the Supersports against Richie Escalante, Bobby Fong, Hayden etc.

I`m new to Track Riding and MA but I`m hooked. Planning on hitting Laguna this year to watch them.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It sounds great but without huge OEM support or some amazing benefactor it won't be viable here - just like the KTM stuff after they pulled out.

mino6466 likes this.
  13. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i wonder how much more it is to run moto2 vs. WSS or stock600 in the same series...

not really related to MA or National racing but I see what you are saying about the stock classes

14. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

You better tell Wayne that before they get the series going...

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We've talked to them about all sorts of things and they have their own opinions. We've got more experience running race series between Evelyne and I than is in most paddocks all together in the country but we can't force people to do things.

Also Wayne has the possibility of getting support others cannot with his connections and the FIM being involved in the series. That involvement/connection makes MotoAmerica so much different from prior incarnations of pro racing that it's hard to know what the OEM's will do with them that they wouldn't in the past.

dieterly and sdiver like this.
  16. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

3 seconds per lap is an eternity. Top 4 in Stock 1000 would have finished 10-14 in the superbike race if they raced their bikes in that class. Looking at the qualifying times, only the top 9 from Stock 1000 would have been within 108% of Cam's qualifying time as well.

Stock 1000 class may not last into the future, but the top guys in that class are currently running it to collect additional contingency money that they wouldnt get for running 10-14th in SBK.

TLR67 likes this.
  17. drop

drop Well-Known Member

They are also running it because they can't afford superbikes. Let's not act like if they could they'd still be running stock 1000.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So it KTM going to build a new bike just for MotoAmerica Superbike?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. Scott S.

Was thinking twins. Where did they go with the RC390R anyway?

20. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Cal Crutchlow dominates the 2022 season. Except when it rains @ VIR. International guys dont do so well in that circumstance.