1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIR race

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, May 4, 2019.

1. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Glad he didn't fall off, but he had very little to do with saving it.

2. Agree. Garret showed he doesn’t have what it takes to win on race day... at the moment. I’m sure he’s frustrated but he needs to get his head straight or he’s going to get even more frustrated and put unnecessary pressure on himself. JD has worked his ass off and if you want to talk about pressure? JD is under a lot, he earned his win.

drop likes this.
  3. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

Wrong

CowboyRR likes this.
  4. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

What's up with all the DNFs for the twins race? Didn't have a chance to watch the feed today

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Rain? Crashes?

6. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

About half the field didn't finish, that's a lot of crashes. Unless people were just pitting if the rain was bad and they weren't running rains

7. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I'd like to see JD move to BSB next year and see what he can do overseas while he's still young. Some of these other guys have destroyed their overseas prospects

5axis and drop like this.
  8. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Couple notes from the supersport race.

The announcers were sure to keep us informed about how good Pj is in the rain, and how much experience he has gotten in rain racing across the pond. But were they not watching the race we were? Pj was not good today. 2ndly, rain racing in America is the same as rain racing across the great sea. I never understood their references that rain on one side of the Earth is different from the other.

Next, why does Hayden gillim need to feel the need to throw his hands up, make gestures and just be an ass to other riders in the track. Ie the m4 rider not fong? I forget his name. That dude is attempting the same exact thing gillum is. Almost shows arrogance.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

For some reason announcers seem operate under the impression that everywhere except America they are constantly racing in torrential downpour conditions I suppose. lol

Oh and every time JD Beach does something on his road race bike Greg White refers to it as "dirt track-style"....

There goes Beach diving to the inside "dirt track-style"
    Beach got kicked up out of the saddle getting back on the the gas, "dirt track-style"

[​IMG]

drop and R1Racer99 like this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I watched on tv with the volume off.. Made the racing better...

turner38 likes this.
  11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Gerloff gave a 2nd interview in the post race show that better explained his emotions. He's a good kid. Lets not be so hard on him.

turner38, Dragginass and Hoffman900 like this.
  12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

When was the last time a rider won a top dirt track race and a top roadrace in the same season? Has it been since the old Grand National days? They noted that Beach's win in AZ was the first Yamaha twins win in 40 years. They should bring back the Grand National Championship. That should beef up the fields in both series.

13. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

You mean like he should go overseas to race and win the red bull rookies cup?

14. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Nicky did it in 2002.

Last person who did it on a Yamaha was Kenny Roberts. JD knew all those facts when asked in the post race interview.

I always thought JD’s riding style probably better suited a Superbike than a 600 (not to say he hasn’t won a championship or two on those ;) ). Is anyone really shocked he’s this fast already on a Superbike? Kudos to his team owner for not only writing the check to make this happen for JD, but also budget in a bunch of testing. Obviously, Stanboli and gang are wizards of sorts. Garrett has something to prove, but JD has openly said he feels he lost out on two separate factory seats and is trying to make a point. He did that today (and just about all year). Based on raw speed, Garrett is going to win very soon.

Mathew Scholtz was very complimentary of JD’s skills in the MA podcast preseason, stating how he was theee guy to beat when he was in a Rookie’s Cup and how he is an awesome talent. Both are, but it’s cool to hear riders talking about other riders like that.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Are they only showing superbike on FS2? Where can you watch supersport?

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

17. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Just finally watched race 2 and JD!!!!!!

CR750 likes this.
  18. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

He sure did a good job of not making it worse. Stayed in the middle, let the bars move instead of hanging onto one or the other, then quickly recovered his seat and rode it across the puddle (and I think a bit of grass) without losing the front - not sure if he wheelied it to get across that stuff or if it just happened because he came back on the gas hard, but I thought it was impressive. I was thinking that is where physical fitness comes into play, being lean and fit probably makes a big difference in being able to stay centered and then get quickly back into position when the bike starts bucking around like that.

19. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

Just watched, too, so rad! Somebody messed up not giving him a factory seat.

20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Which factory seat should he have had? If I were him, I'd be very happy to be right where he is. The Attack is a pretty good bike, Stamboli is a genius and Estenson seems like a dream sponsor, he gets to ride dirt and roadrace. The only thing I don't know about is how are the Attack umbrella girls? I believe he can be a contender for the championship on that bike, this year. There are lots of weekends left. I'll bet that if Herrrin would have had the same kind of money and support Estenson brings, he would have been happy to stay.