1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohvale’s now available in the USA

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by gpstar748, Sep 1, 2018.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Thank you for the honest answer. I will be in the market for a used 4 speed 110 this year. If guys start getting rid of them keep me in mind. Thanks.

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

The Ohvale comes standard with Ohlins forks and shock?! You’re kidding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. assjuice cyrus

Is there any used ones for sale yet you know of?

4. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

None yet. Most people that have them just got them except for a handful last Fall/Winter.

Shoot me an email [email protected] as I may know of something available in June...

5. assjuice cyrus

Sent you an email, thanks.

6. DeboRSV

DeboRSV Member

So I took the plunge, and picked up an Ohvale 160 (yes, the 190 is insane, but I wanted to race 2 classes, and this frame I can swap out smaller motor for kids) this winter and finally had a chance to get it on the track. No Ohlins or anything yet, just did the fork preload adjuster kit so I can stiffen it up a bit.

The good:
    It looks badass, and all the billet parts are cool. It truly looks (and rides) like a purpose built racebike. From everything I can see, build quality is very good (as it should be for the $$$).

The thing is telepathic, I had to completely recalibrate how I ride. Due to the light weight, small tires, etc. if you even think about turning, you turn. Essentially had to relearn the track as the lines are so much different than a CRF.

Even the 160 feels fast, pulls hard. Sounds pretty good as well. The timing system wasn't up, so not sure where I sit there. It was cool and damp in the morning, I was still feeling the bike out, and breaking in motor, so never really pushed too hard. I feel 100% more comfortable on it vs a dirtbike so I "hope" for a relatively significant drop in times once I'm rolling and get it geared properly and adjusted.

The bad:
    Obviously dropping $6k on this type of bike isn't a smart choice, but at least it seems to have the parts and quality to at least somewhat justify the cost.

There are some growing pains dealing with a new company. Once Brandon gets things rolling a bit better, I expect this to improve. Brandon has done a great job taking care of what he can.

It is cramped, but what do you expect from a mini? I honestly think it feels about the same as a Duc 748 that I rode years ago. It's not as bad as you think, and once I get my body position figured out, I think it will work just fine.

I'm 6'1" and 210 lbs, so much bigger than all the pro racers on them, but this gives you and idea.
    [​IMG]

Here is it next to the v4 for a reference. I'll get a true side by side with fairings once I get the v4 put back together.
    [​IMG]

Phl218, sbk25, 418 and 4 others like this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

for some reason I thought they had 12" wheels. How cramped would you feel after riding a 30-45 min stint @DeboRSV ?

8. DeboRSV

DeboRSV Member

I believe they did 10" to allow it to run in scooter races in Europe where 10s are max size.

I think 45 min would be ok. I haven't ridden it enough to give a good answer. I only rode it one day, 6 sessions of 6ish minutes. I'm also in winter shape...

The thing is weightless though, so you really don't have any issue there. I think if you could get smooth on it, would be an easy ride. I'd definitely try it!

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Yea but does it need it? For a $6,000 mini, the last thing I want to do is drop another 2 grand on suspension.

10. DeboRSV

DeboRSV Member

At this point, probably not. The shock feels plenty stiff, and the forks feel ok. The preload adjusters are a requirement for adults riding, and probably a good investment at any level (they were very cheap). Until either end starts giving me trouble, I'm going to ride as-is. One reason I may get them at some point, is to slowly build a bike for my kids, and be able to spread the costs out over a couple years. If I end up with 2-3 of them, it's going to get $$ in a hurry.

11. Tim_B730

Tim_B730 Active Member

I'm really interested in one of these for my son who's currently riding an NSR50. Appreciate you sharing your feedback Debo. How easy it to change gearing, do maintenance (i.e. oil change) and how was general setup out of the box? Did you get any type of repair or maintenance guide?

12. DeboRSV

DeboRSV Member

It was very easy to get up and going. Put gas, oil, and air in tires...done.

Changing gearing is no different than any other sport bike, much easier than the 110's.

There was an initial get started guide, but nothing as far as an actual manual. Not that you would really need it. Servicing it looks to be very straightforward, and everything is easy to get to.

It's the perfect size for my kids 10/12. Good thing they haven't learned how to use clutch, or I'd likely be kicked off it.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if its 1/5 scale...should the component prices be the same? hehehe

14. Gofastdontcrash

Gofastdontcrash Active Member

Interested in a used one or demo

15. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I can’t wait to get mine ! Sat on one for the first time @ Cota . I went with the 190 but it was smaller than I anticipated . I’m gonna have to get my flexibiliy back .

It’ll be interesting to see how they do in the used market , $ wise

Did you go with a replica livery ? I ordered mine with Edwards Laguna wsbk livery . #murica

nlzmo400r likes this.
  16. nlzmo400r

Whoa I didn’t know you could get awesome replicas. Photos of that please!

17. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I don’t have it yet
    Few more weeks I’d guess . It was an extra $500 I think maybe $550 can’t remember for the livery

18. nsouza707

nsouza707 Well-Known Member

I sat on one at the track this past weekend. I don't know if I could ever ride one. They are really small. Much smaller than I was anticipating. My Grom looks like a full size bike next to it lol

19. DeboRSV

DeboRSV Member

They feel pretty small just sitting on them, but once out on the track, they feel pretty good. I set my PB lap times at the local track on only 2nd day on it (had a well setup 150f before) and keep feeling better by the session. My biggest problem is I ground thru a set of toe sliders in 2 days. I may try to raise up the rearsets, but I'm afraid that will make it too cramped. Prob just need to work on foot position. That thing is killer going into the corners, just need to figure out how to increase cornerspeed to take advantage.

20. nlzmo400r

This is my concern also at 6’1 230lbs. I’m hoping to try a demo or rent one from a guy for a couple sessions. I’ve ridden NSR50s and those almost hurt after a session or 2.