1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires.........for my SUV. Nokian Rotiivas?

Discussion in 'General' started by shakazulu12, Apr 26, 2019.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'm due for tires soon. My driving is 90 percent commuting. Then weekends on hardpack dirt or forest roads. My rig came with Grabber AT2's, and I've owned all sorts of tires over the years. KO2's, LTX M/S, LTX AT2, etc. Since I'm a fair weather camper, I've realized I don't need the more burly A/T tires as much and I actually got everywhere I needed to go on the LTX M/S 2's in a 2wd cargo van with an open diff (Ok, once or twice someone had to stand on the bumper so I could get traction).

I was going to go for the Michelin's, they are expensive, but have always lasted and grip better than they would appear. But the Nokian's Rotiiva HT's caught my eye. They look like their version of the Michelin tire. Same treadwear warranty etc. However, they have the 3 peak logo which is useful to me with all the snowboarding I do. Anyone tried the Nokians and have an opinion on them? I've used their dedicated snows in the past, just never their other tires.

Melka, your opinion doesn't matter on this one:D

2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I had a set go 110k on my 4 runner, best tires i have ever ran in the snow and did well everywhere else.

shakazulu12 likes this.
  3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

big fan of cooper discoverer at3 tires have them on 3 sets of rims for 2 trucks. Ski

pscook and shakazulu12 like this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Nitto customer here... had a set on my old truck and just got a set for my new truck.. they last...

5. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Are they black and round? That will do.

rd400racer likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I don’t think you’ll ever regret having too much tire, but, WILL regret not having enough.

The Michelin LTX line are great winter tires. We have a set on one vehicle. Looking at the tread design on the Nokians, I don’t think they’ll do as well.

BigBird likes this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

NOKIANS suck!

Ohh.
    Wait.

Maybe that was Nesbians.

My bad

TLR67 and Mot Okstef like this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Michelin is always the answer when it comes to cages.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  9. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I just replaced the KO2's on my suburban with the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and I'm very happy with them. They are a bit squishy compared to the KO2's but I'm getting better MPG and they are not as noisy. The biggest plus over the KO2's was the price difference (about $50ish/tire).

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Just get the Hayabusa 240s and make 'em fit.

shakazulu12 likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

BTW I think Costco has $70 off and .01 tire installs on Michelins this month.

12. 418

418 Expert #59

Who's decent to use around here?

Rusty has got a guy but he's on the south side.

I need some Nittos in my life.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have been extremely happy with nokian z SUV on the Porsche Cayenne

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

WTH is a Nokian? I've never heard of that brand.

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Finnish maker of pretty much the best snow tires ever made.

BigBird and ducnut like this.
  16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If they're better then Blizzaks I'll be impressed.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

They are marginally better but at like 1.75x the cost of Blizzaks

Sent from my smatrfone

cha0s#242 and ducnut like this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Had great luck with marshmallow man LTZ's on my Ram. Ran Cooper AT/3's on the Chevy van, very impressed with traction, not thrilled with wear.

I wouldn't put a Nitto on a wheelbarrow. Had them on the allroad and road grooves would about throw you into a ditch. Those were a winter tire but it was enough to put me off the brand.

19. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

How do people do this? I’ve never had a set of tires last more than about 35k on any vehicle I’ve ever owned.

sanee and Phl218 like this.
  20. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

No shit! My wife's 17 just burned through the OEM tires at 45K. I bought some high end Michelins at Discount Tire on their "sale" for $950 OTD and just got my $95 rebate today.