1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some cat advice

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 29, 2019.

1. My soon-to-be ex-wife and I adopted brother and sister rescue kittens in 2001. They were tiny and fragile - the male never got over 9 lbs, and the female never got over 6 lbs. The female was so delicate that she would get seriously hurt from the slightest bump. She destroyed one of her front legs in a jump gone bad when she was just a few years old, and we had to have the leg amputated after several surgeries to try to fix it.

Even though she was small and weak, in her mind she was the toughest cat in the world. She adapted well to being a 3-legged cat, and lived another 6 years, as queen of the household. She developed intestinal cancer at 9 years, and we had to put her down. It was clear to me that she was never meant to survive, but she was a fighter to the end. She wanted to live large her whole life, despite being ill-equipped to do so.

The day she died was one of the saddest days I‘ve had so far. My wife was at work on the final day, and the cat waited, struggling to stay alert, until my wife managed to get home, before slipping into a coma. She wanted to say goodbye to both of us. She made it obvious to me that I was not allowed to do anything until that happened.

Her brother outlived her by almost 5 years, before succumbing to an acute and rare nervous system disease.

motion likes this.
  2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Sorry for the loss of both of them.
    You gave both of them good homes and lots of love and you cared for them. Best they could have had!

RIP, Kiks.

motion likes this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

What a great little cat! And a great story, too, thanks.

4. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

We have had this bud for a few months now... has balls and claws.
    we let him inside for the night when it was below freezing.
    now its 88 degrees in Atl and about to be blood sucker season...
    any ideas for a better cat door? amazing how a few hesitant food offerings will lead to a "cat door" being using 4 times a day lol.
    We call him D'earl bud or Earl Grey.
    rsz_20200114_212117.jpg
    rsz_20200121_213051.jpg

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Damn that's a good-lookin' kitty. Look at the size of his paws!

pfhenry likes this.
  6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Get him fixed, chipped and inoculated. Yeah, you didn't ask for that. We cut a cat door into the one leading to the garage and leave the garage door cracked open like 6 inches all day. Cuts down on the valet services, but we're home all day. Handsome boy!

G 97 and noles19 like this.
  7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Definitely get him fixed

8. pfhenry

a real question... is there a cat vasectomy?
    My mom tried to follow him home and found some neighbor with a grey cat(not convinced its the same cat)
    she said he was chipped and fixed.
    she still believes its the same cat. i'm pretty sure its still castration for cats/ dogs..
    am i wrong?

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Nice thing about a cat or dog door is it lets the coons in too. :D

G 97 likes this.
  10. noles19

They just cut them off as far as I know

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Awesome. Beautiful guy.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid:

Don’t get him declawed. :)

AC1108 and joec like this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah they do. :D

14. pfhenry

he's a 8 ft. fence crawler.... no ball chopping either... hes a wild cat that has never laid a tooth or claw on me.

unheard of

15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

With him having his nutz he'll spray piss all over everything you own.

Don't ask how I know.

joec likes this.
  16. joec

joec brace yourself

Declaw him and he'll bite you. It's cruel.. And they were just trying to pass a law in Maryland banning it actually.

G 97 likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

It should be banned. My cat Killer has his claws but he never uses them on me. He play bites me and when I’m doing garden and yard work he’ll sometimes stalk me and charge and jump on me but he never uses his claws on me. If I have a long sleeve sweatshirt or jacket he’ll sometimes put his claws out to get a better grip and hang on. They know when they are using them that’s for sure.

joec likes this.
  18. noles19

And make a bunch more cats that won't be taken care of

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah I would get him neutered for sure. Male cats prowl around as it is.

noles19 likes this.
  20. noles19

It's the responsible thing to do with an outdoor cat for sure