1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TTR125 front suspension travel nearly maxxed

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by DmanSlam, Apr 23, 2019.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Hey all,

After finally getting my TTR125 out for its first couple of track days, I noticed I'm using 5.5 inches of it's 7 inches of travel when under hard braking.

So, my questions is: Is that amount of travel acceptable? I've seen postings about cutting the springs and adding a spacer to, I guess, firm up the front suspension and reduce the amount of travel.

The 5.5 inches of frontend travel is with BBR fork springs installed, 15wt fork oil added and the forks raised 1.5 inches in the top clamp. The rear has a stiffer spring (from Fast 50s).

The frontend travel seems like a bit much. Outside of the braking zone, the frontend seems to work pretty good around the track.

I'm just now starting to tinker with the sag and tire pressures. I've set the rear sag to 1 inch (manual recommends 2 inches of sag but my thinking is that that is for off-road). I don't have preload adjusters on my TTR.

Any input is appreciated.

2. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What he said. I had a set of BBR springs and Rob said that his preferred method is to cut down the OEM springs and add in a heavier oil so we did that instead. Even though the BBR are stiffer than OEM, they're still not made for an adult to be pushing that bike (that's what Rob said and it made sense to me).

4. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I connected with Robert Miller. Planning to deliver the forks to him later this week. So, I've been working with Robert since the start of my TTR project. Pretty much, he's been right about a lot of the mods I needed to make.

5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I raised the oil level in my XR forks to help with dive. I still got full travel, but the air spring effect rapped up the rate in the last quarter of the travel. Not sure if you can do the same on a ttr though.