1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Tahoe vs 2019 Expedition. Which one should I buy.

Discussion in 'General' started by ineedanap, Feb 8, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Well, the 3.5L came out first, so it makes sense to keep it in the lineup, since they already have the investment in production. I do see the 5.0L being dropped, in the near future, and the 3.5L becoming the uprated engine.

That 2.7L seems to be the underdog. Even the Jeepers are saying the 2.0L Turbo is the engine to get, because of how much low-end power it has. Current technology is making the smaller displacement engines viable. My only concern would be longevity with how much harder they’re being worked for the output numbers.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't justify it until I can figure out how to afford dock space. Even though she had nothing to do with it she wouldn't go out when we had a boat because it was so much work to put it in and take it out... :rolleyes:

We have rented pontoons a couple times and they are cool. A real one with real power would be perfect.

3. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Expedition only comes with a 3.5. If they offered a 2.7 for less money that could still tow 9,200 lbs, I would have bought the 2.7.

Maybe that's why they don't offer it. :)

ducnut likes this.
  4. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

I have a tangential question now that the OP bought his truck: How much hassle are these things to move around a city and park in real world daily driving?

I have a '17 Impala V6 which counts as a big car these days (and pretty quick), but way easy to live with. I'm looking at maybe a Tahoe or Silverado 1500 for hauling bicycles (no towing needed), and wondering if I'll end up missing having the sedan.

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I have no issue with my standard Yukon. But it’s still shorter than a Silverado. I can’t speak to a truck ... it’s been too long.

Joe Remi likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I have a Silverado, extended cab, 6-1/2’ bed. We have a Honda Ridgeline in the household, as well. The Ridgeline is marginally better for maneuverability and would be really nice for what you’re wanting to do, in addition to the odd hauling of dirty stuff. However, I’ve rented a Tahoe and that thing felt like a go-cart, by comparison, with its tight turning radius. Also, I’ve driven a 2-dr Jeep and that thing was even better. I doubt there isn’t too many places they can’t turn into.

7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

What city? I drive a Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4WD 6.5’ bed and have no issues in Madison or Milwaukee size cities. I parallel park downtown all the time there. Chicago? I’ve done it but it sucks. It takes forever to find a spot to parallel park and the ramps are tighter.

ducnut likes this.
  8. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

Novato CA., Marin County, 15 minutes from Sears Point/Sonoma whatever-the-fuck it's called now Raceway. No parallel parking, mostly market and post office parking lots and such. Just typing that out tells me I've answered my own question...

9. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Love my Durango

ajcjr likes this.
  10. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I drive a 1 ton CC long bed for work, it gets backed in almost everywhere or park at the back and walk. Personal truck is a CC short bed F-150, it’s about 2-2 1/2’ shorter and I can park that thing just about anywhere. A Tahoe would knock another foot or more off of a 1/2 ton truck...even easier to park.

Before you listen to some yahoos on a forum then regret your decision later go test drive one and pull into straight spots, the slanted ones are easy even in the big truck. Drive it home and put it in your garage, a decent salesman won’t care.

Razr and ducnut like this.
  11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Late to the party here, but I just rented an Expedition for a 4 day weekend in Colorado and I have a mixed review:

Cons:
    horrible, Horrible, HORRIBLE ride quality. Every bump in the road was a jolt.
    The gear selection dial is a crock of shit. What was wrong with a lever to select gears? Nothing. Why the hell would you make it a dial? It's retarded. Quit it.
    Back hatch opens up to about 5'11". I'm 6'2". Nothing more irritating than bumping your head every time you're getting something out of there.
    Speaking of the back hatch, I couldn't figure out how to open it without shutting off the engine. Perhaps that's a setting I didn't notice, but it was irritating as shit.

Pros
    Definitely lots of room. To be expected in a vehicle this size
    I really liked being able to select from 8 gears when coasting down steep grades in the manual gear selection mode. Nice to not have to ride the brakes all the time. Probably quite confusing to the folks behind me though. :D
    Plenty of power to go up those steep grades. Again, to be expected. And I wasn't towing anything.

If I was looking in this segment for a daily driver, I'd keep looking. This one wasn't a deal breaker, but I didn't fall in love with it, that's for sure.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hatch won't open on my Ho without it being in park. Probably a setting you can change on the Expedition

13. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

It seems like it depends on the day. Some mags and sites say the 2.7 is faster, some say the 3.5 is. I know that TFL truck has the 3.5 ecoboost F150 as the fastest 0-60 truck they've ever tested.

When I test drove the 2.7 and 3.5 back-to-back, the 3.5 felt stronger. I'm not sure I'd pay the premuim for it, though. In the end, I ended with that engine only because of the deal I was able to get on the truck I ended up buying. If the extra towing capacity mattered, then go 3.5. Outside of that, I'm not sure you can go wrong.

ducnut likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I just watched that video, last night. Like the host, I thought the 5.0L would fall between them. I wish they would’ve posted the 1/4mi times, because the 3.5L looked like it was really getting it done. “Boosted F150” on YT has a Whipple on top of a stock 5.0L truck and is running 10’s in the 1/4mi. Modern stuff has so much potential.

bleacht likes this.
  15. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

For what its worth my wifes Yukon is light-years easier to park than my crew cab 6' bed truck. The steering ratio on the Yukon really seems to tighten up towards the end of the stroke.. not sure if its a progressive ratio or not but the thing moves in a parking lot like a dream.

The newer shopping complexes have pretty tight spots and the truck usually requires pull in, back a bit out and get it straight. They Yukon I can just run it in no problem.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shorter wheelbase than the truck isn't it? I thought the cc trucks even stubby beds have the same chassis as the Suburban.

17. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Yup, by about 5 inches. The Yukon seems to have a tighter steering angle than the truck thats for sure. I originally figured the wife would hit all types of shit with it, but it makes a tight circle and so far so good.

ducnut likes this.
  18. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I was amazed how much tighter the Yukon turns than a crew cab short box truck.

ducnut likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's shorter than a crew cab short box truck :D

I'm sure it seems like the wheels may turn more but it's the same everything underneath, the body style won't change that.

My favorite was going from an F350 dually to a baby Freightliner FL60 - that thing had an amazing turning radius even with the same or longer wheelbase. Made backing up even shorter trailers a joy.

20. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

You can program the rear hatch to open fully which is probably closer to 6'-3 or more. I had the same issue and then I realized the shocks weren't fully extended. Quick read through the owners manual and I found where you can program the hatch to open at any height you set it. I've actually gotten used to the gear selector dial. I drive a F250 and it was definitely weird at first. Now it's second nature.

auminer likes this.