1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about joining WERA

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by yuengling910, Apr 15, 2019.

1. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

I recently moved to Savannah, GA and have a few questions about joining WERA.

I held an Amateur race license with CCS (racing with LRRS) in 2017 and 2018. I raced a full season in 2017 and only one round (5 races) last year. I saw on the application that it wanted me to attach a copy of my new racer school. Will a copy of my 2018 CCS license work in lieu of the school certificate?

I've been eyeing up the Southeast schedule and will try to make it to the remaining Roebling and Road Atlanta rounds at a minimum. I raced an R6 with LRRS but will probably be racing a Ninja 300 to get my feet wet again. If I am reading things correctly, the 300 would be eligible for E, D, and Clubman. Does that sound correct?

Thanks for the help!

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes and yes....

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Welcome to WERA

4. yuengling910

Thanks guys. Hope to see you out there soon.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What they said.

I have to say I do like racers who can read the rules :D

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Well you have the correct name to keep the North American Grand Poobah of road racing very happy. Just show up at registration with a case of that and a 32oz. Mountain Dew:D

yuengling910 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eh, the boss is more a fan of Negro Modela. :D

And it's Diet Dew.... :crackup:

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Ok then make it a 64oz. Diet Dew

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Liter bottles please. Usually a 2fer sale at most trucks stops on them :D

yuengling910 likes this.
  10. yuengling910

Mongo,

I sent you an email with a license question. Thanks for all the help so far.

11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You got that backward there, chief. :beer:

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Skip the kids bikes...pick up a SV....cheaper, faster and will help you rehone your skills.

Come look me up at Reobling in a couple weeks. Easy to find...the yellow Slozuki.

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Don't trust this guy...

:D

14. Jon Wilkens

Don't you have a class to teach or something?:Poke:

:moon:

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know that, you know that, every server we ever have knows that. I have explained that it's the Negra version of Modelo versus Especial. The boss don't care nothing bout that just bring her a damn Negra Modelo.....

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Have her order is as "obscura". Speaking of, if you can find this, it's definitely worth a try:
    bohemdark.jpg

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll keep it in mind thanks! As for her ordering, yeah right, I'm staying the hell out of it :D

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I just spent four days at VIR. There was a 14 year old on a 300. He humbled lotsa people on big bikes. An SV would not have been competitive against this 300 rider unless you were already the likes of Bradley Champion, et al.
    I've seen really big guys, like double-size, take a 450 motard and crush 1000 egos. If you don't have skills, displacement is not the answer.

Jon Wilkens and Phl218 like this.
  19. Jon Wilkens

The POINT was...as an ADULT an SV would be a better start to rehone skills than a 300/400 and won't outgrow it in 6 months. Power to weight is what it is...and the SV provides a much better platform for an adult sized human with plenty of room to grown into performance/skills wise. You also completely discounted what it costs to purchase either of them...the SV will be cheaper unless you are getting an old 250-300 which will be a serious liability on any trackday due to speed differential.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

He's joining WERA, not Team Pro-Motion.

A 300 is an adult-sized bike, just as the original 250 was back in '88 or whatever and same as the CBR250 from that era. They are all adult-sized bikes. You know what might have been a kid's bike? A Yamaha JT-1 Mini-Enduro...60cc of street-legal dirt fun, or a YSR50 or GSX-R50...those are kid-sized bikes.
    Jump forward multiple decades and we have the new 250s, 300s, 390s, 400s...all NOT kid's bikes, tho' they can be a good place for kids to start and likely the proliferation of smaller bikes is due to demand for a suitable bike for those not yet able to vote.

I've been riding a long time. I've never owned a street bike smaller than 750. I want a NSF250R and it's not a bike I can imagine ever growing out of and I do a lot of track riding...it's not the size that matters.

Money? I didn't hear that question raised by anyone but you.
    If it's a concern for the OP, sure, go ahead and, imo, waste money on a clapped out, overweight, dog-slow SV. If a rider doesn't already have the skills to ride and wrench, an SV would be more help than a 600 repli-racer.
    If the rider has skills, why not challenge themselves to a 250/300? They will be a way smoother rider on anything they get on afterwards...and we all know that smoother is faster.
    The OP already has skills. If he wants to hone them to a razor's edge, getting an SV is of little help to him, relative to a smaller bike.

Weight?
    What's a race-prepped SV weigh? 400lbs? Just slog that thing into the corners like any other bike.
    What's a race-prepped 250/300 weigh? 300 lbs? Just slog that thing into any corner and you better have been precise about it cuz you're gonna be movin' through that corner at a pace unmatched by ALL the other bikes.

Maintenance/upkeep? Hmmm...tires, fuel, brakes. An SV is a wash compared to other big bikes; a smaller bike is economical by comparison.

Can it be frustrating to ride a smaller bike? You're damn right, that's why it's a better educational bike. Get it right and virtually no one can touch you on anything you ride.

TL;DR version...
    If it's on track, it's an adult bike...any bike will do to satisfy that criteria.
    If you wanna do well, buy a good bike...any of today's smaller bikes are a better choice than an SV, on all accounts.

Last edited: May 11, 2019