1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015+ R1 Endurance Tank

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Thunderace, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Slowing it down is one thing.. making it stay where you want it is totally different and,
    Sure you can.. and that is why people pay for R&D.

2. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

Foam is a requirement, is it not? I planned on getting some in addition.

3. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

You need foam for AMA, not for Wera endurance.

4. bbsteinnewyork

bbsteinnewyork Active Member

If you don't use foam then you are giving up the ability to control the weight transfer of the fuel from sloshing around. There is a reason that the pros do what they do

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I have a legit World Endurance spec tank I can sell you. Holds about 24L of fuel

6. Thunderace

We talked about a tank you had last year. It was a cost issue more than anything. I like the idea of building it myself. If it works out, I'll be right around $650 after I get a fuel pump.

Dom17 and JBall like this.
  7. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

After you get the (new) fuel pump that will take you to $1000. Still not a bad deal...

8. Thunderace

Vinny, I am only at $560 thus far. The fuel pumps for the 2015+ R1's are down under $100. I will be at or around $650 once it's all done. I've already go body filler and paint left over from other work.

I just got the aluminum sheet today. Thanks again Britt for the advice on the 5052 and thickness. I have to wait a week or so before I can really begin the actual building, welding and forming. My buddy with the TIG welder is out this week and I am traveling this weekend. Hopefully, we can get some work done the following week.

Britt, Vinny337 and Dom17 like this.
  9. Vinny337

Nice work Bro! It's going to be a great season...oh, can you share where you got your fuel pump?

10. Thunderace

I haven't bought one yet, but there was one for sale on the board for $60 the other day. I'll see if I can find the post.

11. Vinny337

Oh ok, I thought you were talking about purchasing a new fuel pump...that would be my recommendation.

12. Thunderace

I was planning on swapping the one I have as it will only be swapped a couple times. But then thought about it and figured a used one is less than $100. Last year, a used one was closer to $200. I'll worry about that after I get the additions welded on and tested.

Vinny337 likes this.
  13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

UpDates?

14. Thunderace

Thanks for checking. We have created the boxed in area that will go under the seat. I need to open that area of the tank and create an overlap onto the box. The TIG welder he is using is not a highly sophisticated unit and it isn't as easy as real professionals make it look. Getting the right settings is critical and the skill to weld aluminum is not something you can learn quickly. It is definitely taking longer than expected. Plus, we have only worked on it a couple of days. I have until June, but that time is quickly approaching. I hope to have something more resembling a tank soon.

Britt likes this.
  15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

$100 fuel pump? You do realize those fuel pumps fail when you least expect? Spend the money on a new one and replace it every season. Take it from someone who has used ND fuel pumps for 25 years.

16. Thunderace

I've had the same fuel pump in my 2005 since 2005, not one issue. The one in my 2015 is the original. If it lets go, it lets go. I'm not in it for the money and I don't have sponsors, other than my wife! There are plenty of items that could let go without notice, I am not about to replace all of those every year. Chains, sprockets, filters, brake pads and fluids, without question. But those are all wearable items.

17. Thunderace

Also, got a spare fuel pump from a guy on here for $60. Even better!

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Good luck with that.

Thunderace likes this.
  19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Speaking of fuel pump, have Wyman show you the fuel pump for that Ducati...I am still trying to figure out the damn thing...it has a maybe a 3mm hole for the fuel to enter the pump from the tank...it is CRAZY.

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I will.