1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi R8 - Attainable Supercar?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 15, 2019.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Parts are plentiful, affordable, and I possess all the tools necessary to maintain and repair them.

I'm not regretting the purchase. Yet.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

My brother was an Audi mechanic for the longest time.

My parents still drive them. My brother told me i was smarter for not driving one.

When i wanted to buy the 2.7 tt allroad, he said: turbos, air suspension, ruuuun.

R8 might be better but i don't think it would top a used porsche.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Real men drive roadsters!

BigBird and thrak410 like this.
  4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

In my case, it was the service writer talking about the influx of broken pistons [warranty or not] and the like being so much more often in the last few years then the previous years. Sure all you see is the broken ones, but if they are all usually oil leaks, window regs, alternators and starters and then all a sudden transmission are falling out then yeah you'll notice.

5. bored&stroked

BigBird and XFBO like this.
  6. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Service techs also see the way VAG deals with problems and not how a mechanic fixes them. I owned an 04 Touareg for 15 years (sold last week) and my mechanic did things like replace the bad solenoid vs replacing the entire bell housing like the dealer insisted. He also polished and replaced as needed all the bearings in part of my drivetrain vs replacing.

Any modern car out of warranty is expensive if you don't have the right mechanic. There were a few big ticket items on that car but it was incredibly reliable overall.

Edit: so on topic, buy the toy you can get the right person to keep in good shape.

BigBird likes this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

My buddy has an R8 and likes it.

No idea if it's reliable or any of that shit, but it's a fucking R8. If you're pinching pennies, get a Datsun.

BigBird and Steeltoe like this.
  8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Correct. Also as dope as the R8 is, when you see it in his garage between a F430 and a Huracan, it looks like a Camry.

It's like how a Chrysler 300 looks like a Bentley until a Bentley pulls up.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Right you just think the 300 looks terrible until the Bentley pulls up to confirm it. Positive reinforcement.

Only difference I see in the two is the quality of the materials and workmanship in the Bentley ugly.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    BigBird likes this.
  10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Holy moly, that has to be one of the first Boxsters I've seen that I love....have always been a Porsche fan, mostly just 911's, then just recently started liking their Cayman but that Boxster is really nice!

Do y'all offer a 20 yr loan? :D

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Ahh, that's the one with the strap door handles that Top Gear ripped on! :D

12. Venom51

And they were right to do so. It is a stupid thing to do with a car you just slapped a bunch of leather and Alcantara all over the interior. :D

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Out riding one day I played with an R8 v10 for 15 or so miles on the 417. My bike ain't the fastest thing in the world but damn those cars can move and they sound sooo good.

14. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'm going to counter with go ask a Lexus writer or tech. They have very boring lives with almost nothing but routine maintenance to deal with.

BigBird, cav115, XFBO and 2 others like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not saying it isn't a great fun car, same as the Miata. I love them but they're chick cars :D

16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I was just about to write that. One of my friends is head mechanic in a Lexus dealership and has very good things to say about them.

BigBird and XFBO like this.
  17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

My chiropractor has one of their LC's as his daily driver, sick looking car been wanting to ask him how it's holding up for him.

18. Venom51

8 years and 64k miles on the IS-F. Not a single issue. The only thing that has ever broken I broke. I put a wet car cover in the trunk and killed the audio amplifier.

BigBird and cav115 like this.
  19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I like my A4 and it's been nothing but reliable but I'm pretty sure a toyota or Lexus will be my next car about 5k miles before the warranty on this runs out.

BigBird likes this.
  20. bored&stroked

Lexus and porsche are the only reliable foreign performance cars out there. NSX doesn't count because its a stupid hybrid, although a very well put together one to drive I must say.

BigBird likes this.