1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump is a Winning Machine

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by blkduc, Dec 14, 2016.

1. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves. Sounds like hate speech to me. With a huge hint of racism.

blkduc likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And yet again, where was he wrong?

Ups and downs mean nothing about the fundamental soundness so the year it was said means nothing.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You don't remember what happened in 2008, apparently...

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I remember what happened in 2008.

So yet one more time - how exactly was he wrong? Stop saying 2008 like it's an actual answer and type out using words that make sense what you think he said wrong.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

By pulling up a post that doesn't exist? You're getting dumber with every post. Then again, if you weren't, you would have seen from the beginning that it wasn't James Woods I was making fun of. Just move along and pester someone who sees value in long discussions with you. Like Mongo.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hey now, don't be bringing me into Mike bashing today, got work to do :D

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Come on, you're the only one who reads his shit when he doesn't quote you directly. I know you like it. :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You'd think after all these years I'd look at a username before reading a post or at least before responding to a post but alas I do not.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

During the market nervousness preceding the collapse of Lehman Brothers and the house of cards collapsing, Ben Stein went on all the "big shows" and assured us all that the fundamentals of the US economy were sound.

Lehman collapsed. Chaos ensued.

Hardly sound economics.

Which goes to Papa's point of giving "entertainers" a soapbox, despite Stein's political and economic "bona fides"...

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Except that even with those collapses the economy has done what it always does and rebounded... Which sure makes it seem as if the fundamentals are sound. Yeah there are bubbles, they burst. There are booms, they get people stupid then they collapse. There are collapses but then things rise. Not seeing the fundamentals being screwed up there.

sheepofblue likes this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If the fundamentals were sound, a single sector's collapse wouldn't bring everything down with it.

I guess you're going to argue over the definition of "fundamentals"... :Poke: :moon:

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it helps, Stein does have a degree in economics (granted evidently so does AOC but I'd wager it was harder to get at Columbia in the mid 60's) and did work as an economist for the FTC I think. Does lend him a bit more credence than actors with nothing more than honorary degrees.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh?

Yet again I'm lost. How did our entire economy collapse? When did we hit even another great depression? I truly do not remember the entire world ending in 2008 like you do.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just to be clear, I'm the one saying that just because they are entertainers doesn't mean they can't voice their opinions. I hold the ones I disagree with and those I agree with to the same standard.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That's why I said "despite his 'bona fides'"...

He was also a speechwriter for Nixon, so you know he can lie with a straight face. :D

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh I agree. It's the soapbox.

Their uninformed or biased opinions are as equally invalid.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eh, Nixon was doing the face time, Stein could have been laughing his ass off the entire time he wrote something :D

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep.

Only reason I knew Steins degree is I've heard him talk on it and looked into him. He has a bit more validity than most.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

An across the board devaluation of all markets, which only "rebounded" due to a doubling of the national debt and an infusion of fiat currency unequaled in world history.

The fundamentals of our economy are debt and fiat. The antithesis of "sound".

SuddenBraking likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And not to defend Ben Stein but economics is probably the "least sciencey" of all sciences. :D Highly-trained people can look at the same data and come up with completely different conclusions because there is so much guess work in it.