1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi R8 - Attainable Supercar?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 15, 2019.

1. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike Well-Known Member

I have an A6 V8 that I've driven 80k on top of the 50k it has on it when I bought it. The only non-consumable thing I've had to fix on it is a pair of front wheel bearings. This is my 5th Audi and the others weren't maintenance nightmares either.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I paid for my allroad 2x in repairs and maintenance...

I should have listened to Bill and found a 2.8 powered wagon instead of the allroad...

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the twin turbo 2.7?

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yep.

$1500 timing belt changes (x2 or 3 over my time paying for it) leaking air suspension, leaking auxiliary water pump, bad ac condenser fan, exhaust leaks, engine oil leaks, turbo oil leaks, and a reverse that would slip out if you tried backing uphill.

Other than that, it was a great car, comfortable, quiet, safe, nice ride...drove it to Maine with the eldest snot goblin after my sister died, it was a nice highway cruiser.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You need to keep in mind that looking around at most of these cars they do not have what I would call normal daily driver mileage on them. It's hard to judge the long term reliability of something that gets about 4K or just slightly more than that in miles per year. That and every car is reliable to people that keep them 18 months and turn them over. There isn't a lot of bitching about things repaired under warranty from most of them.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes. I was looking at a 2009 with 25k miles. I drive more in a month than that guy drove all year! But this would not be a daily for me. Whatever I wind up with will sit in the garage at least 6 days per week.

7. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Don't listen to us ask Audi service writers. They are total crap.

8. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I'd be curious how much of all the fancy bits in an 09 R8 are standard equipment across the S line now if not already antiquated? My SQ5 has some version of the mag ride shocks, multiple engine maps, etc.

9. Venom51

I look at it through a slightly longer term and higher mileage time frame. At 14 years and 68k miles with nothing more than a failed windshield washer pump motor and normal maintenance I'm willing to deem my truck reliable. Having said that it is a fairly low mileage 14 year old truck so is it really as reliable as I think it is?

10. Chino52405

That sucks - I have always felt like I missed out not getting to own an original Allroad.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

12. Venom51

If you like big gobs of V8 torque at relatively low revs you'll be disappointed by the flat 6. If you like wringing it's neck like it's a sport bike then you'll dig it. They don't really do shit until the tach hits 5k.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Chino52405

C5/C6 Z06's are always around for great deals.

14. Venom51

You have to take into account the environment in which they are driven. The wintery, salt road laden environments is hard on cars no matter who makes them.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Exhaust is the only thing that suffers from that on the allroad. Audi does a kick ass job of corrosion resistance, only speck of rust on that thing was from a door ding that chipped the paint.

All the rest of it are well acknowledged issues with the model.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I've always been a fan of turbo type power delivery - sedate at low revs, nuts when you want to get on it. I had several F-Body's and Mustangs back when I was younger and they were easy to get in trouble with ;)

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I damn near considered buying another one, because I'm clinically retarded. Instead I bought an Equinox I had to do a top end rebuild on due to burned exhaust valve on cylinder 1.

It's a decent enough little SUV, but it's not an allroad. :/

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Buying an Equinox does not help your "clinically retarded" case.... Those things are turrrrrrible.

Chris and BigBird like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Always wondered about this bit of wisdom - why would you ask service writers or mechanics about issues with cars? All they see are the broken ones. The ones just getting an oil change or the like don't register. And asking one of them at a specific brand dealer is even funnier - of course the factory Audi wrench will see a bunch more broken Audis than any other brand :D

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator