1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notre Dame de Paris is BURNING!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Sabre699, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Papa can you see this? The spire just fell!

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You got me by a second. But this is horrible

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Who lit the fire? Inquiring minds want to know.

4. Sabre699

Just saw your thread...you're right...this SUX!!

5. rd400racer

So freaking sad

[​IMG]

6. Sabre699

7. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

They didn't think of a sprinkler system in the 13th century?

8. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Not until the Mid 1800's, they built about 400 years too early

I hate seeing these fires. So much irreplaceable history gone. :(

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

merde

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have been blessed enough to make it to several of the great Cathedrals in Europe, just not this one. It has been on my list of places to visit for a while. :(

12. joec

joec brace yourself

Just incredible. Did as many cathedrals as possible when I've been overseas. Never made it there. Wow.

13. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Wow, I just saw the spire fall on the news. I'm really glad I had a chance to see it a few years ago when I was there.

14. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Saw it many many years ago on my honeymoon. Heartbreaking news to see irreplaceable history destroyed.

HotbodiesRacing likes this.
  15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I agree with all the sentiments above and the churches of europe are some of the most amazing buildings in the world but............

Is it all original? Weren't many destroyed in WW1 and 2? If it has been rebuilt once can they not do it again? Not to marginalize the loss but really wonder how much of Europe's major cities are OG (with the obvious exceptions like Dresden and Prague).

16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

While it has been updated and renovated, Paris was never attacked during WW1 and partial reason for Frances surrender during WW2 was prevention of bombing of cities.

17. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Looks like the French Revolution was the most damaging to it.

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Looks like it started at the roof level and a sprinkler system probably would not have been very effective. The size of that fire would definitely overpower sprinklers, sadly we protect floor area in our systems and they are not really designed to protect the roof. My guess is that a construction (renovation) worker started it seeing all the scaffolding.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire....they aint got no water cause they all on strike...oh wait. Thats not how that song goes...

Hope they can get it out before the whole roof structure collapses. That would be very bad.

20. rd400racer

Many of them were marked for bomber crews to avoid during WWII, such as Ulm Minster. I've visited most of these and they are spectacular. What a loss for world history.

[​IMG]

wsmc42, joec and Sabre699 like this.