1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi R8 - Attainable Supercar?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm seeing low mileage 2009 models in the $60k range. This thing seems like supercar performance, daily driver comfort, and (somewhat) affordability, all rolled into one. Are they maintenance nightmares like other Audis?

2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My colleague in Germany has one and loves it. It is not his daily driver but seems reliable. I'd look for a v10 model if i were shopping for one.

DrA5 likes this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

A: it's 10 years old
    B: it's an Audi
    C: run

track wagon, Phl218 and cha0s#242 like this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If it were something like an A4 I'd totally agree, but surely they put better engineering into their Halo Car.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You think they designed a supercar for longevity and ease of maintenance? :crackup:

track wagon likes this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Relatively, yes. R8 is supposed to be similar to a 911 or an NSX in that you can drive one more like an Accord instead of needing a chase car full of spare parts and mechanics like you would with a Ferrari or a Lambo.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I've heard they are more generally reliable. Some parts are crazy ass priced though. Like the mag ride shocks are $2k each or some shit. Lots of people just replaced with 4 coilovers for the cost of 1-2 OEM shocks.
    Also the earlier models have a bad frame area where the front shock mount is. It can crack. Audi doesn't have an approved fix if it's already cracked. They fo have a reinforcement plate that should be added. One guy bought one at auction that was totaled due to this. He spent a couple grand fixing and welding it. It's on youtube.

XFBO and Sweatypants like this.
  8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine has a V10 model with a supercharger. He has an impressive supercar collection and says the Audi is the most reliable and cheapest to keep on the road.

It's a sample group of one, so who knows if that's normal, but it's something.

j cal likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I reached out...here's the answer :crackup:

Attached Files:

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

A stable of supercars...methinks "cheapest" might be a relative term ;)

11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

That sounds like the late model Corvette I read about. Less than 5000 miles, it hit something in the road and cracked the frame near the rear axle. Car was written off because GM doesn't have an approved repair and the piece is not available from GM.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've told it before but must not have sunk in. As y'all know my daughter sells Porsche's but next door is the sister Audi dealership. She was looking for a car and asked the top Audi mechanic which one of the used Audi's he would recommend.

The answer was none of them:D

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Actually the R8 is the same engine as the Lambo.

track wagon and R1M370 like this.
  14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Gallardo has the same engine as the R8. Audi designed and built nearly that whole car, which is why it was the first Lambo ever to not be a total pile of shit.

R1M370 and ChemGuy like this.
  15. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Lamborghini still found a way to make it unreliable with their own electronics and transmission. FML.

The Gallardo and R8 are attainable and can be maintained for an attainable number as well, but it takes a lot of research as you can't just pick up a Haynes manual or the like. Take them into the shop and you'll be paying a small fortune for everything. Don't expect normal car price parts either. Also need to be handy with a computer to work on it yourself. Some maintenance tasks require configuring in the computer.

An example of research: fuel gauge goes out. There's a $450 Audi gauge you need to replace with part number XXXXXXX4e. However, there's another Audi guage (from a4) that is the same except for a stick on faceplate, available used on eBay for $30, with part number XXXXXXX1d.

VAGCOM should work for R8, Gallardo needs $10k computer from Lamborghini (or hack the ECU yourself (HUGE pain in the butt, even for a software developer).

16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Um, was there even a 1999 R8 made? 2009.....

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh shit. D'oh! :crackup:

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I’d prefer a Porsche

Phl218 and rd400racer like this.