1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making America Great

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Buckwild, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I read that article earlier this week. Awesome results!
    It's pretty amazing what basic support of students and parents can accomplish.

3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Good news and another great example of good things happening when you get government out of the way.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Excellent. School choice, parental involvement, no government intervention. What a novel concept. Why has no one considered that before?

BHP41 and brex like this.
  5. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

You have to read all the way through the article.
    "
    Unlike other schools connected to celebrities, I Promise is not a charter school run by a private operator but a public school operated by the district. Its population is 60 percent black, 15 percent English-language learners and 29 percent special education students. Three-quarters of its families meet the low-income threshold to receive help from the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

The school’s $2 million budget is funded by the district, roughly the same amount per pupil that it spends in other schools. But Mr. James’s foundation has provided about $600,000 in financial support for additional teaching staff to help reduce class sizes, and an additional hour of after-school programming and tutors."

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sorry, I missed the government funding when I scanned the article. I applaud the effort and the results are encouraging. Engaging the parents and investing them in the process is not new. It is essential and has been sorely missing in many schools. Students tend to live up, or down, to expectations. Kudos on trying to break the cycle by involving the families.

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Not a fan of Lebron but this certainly upped my opinion of him a LONG way. Best part is from the sounds of it not only is the future better for a lot of kids the present could get better for the parents. :beer::bow:

cav115 likes this.
  8. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Curious, you were/are not a fan of LeBron because? Not an aggressive question, genuinely curious. As someone who has followed him from high school, unless you are from Cleveland and got your heart broken when he went to Miami, don't get it.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not surprising considering the general populace is getting stupider.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/06/world_iq_going_down.html

Kind of amazing when you have so much information at your fingertips, and we're living in such technological times that people are getting dumber and dumber. Or maybe it does make sense. As our surrounding become smarter, more intuitive and intelligent....we as a species are getting more apathetic and stupid as a result.

tl1098 and cav115 like this.
  10. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I didn't read the article as it is behind a paywall, I have heard of the James school and commend him for it. The issue is more widespread across the country and the federal gobbermint throwing money into education has not worked to date. The education system is the wrong place to teach kids, starts with the parents. The most important job anyone has on this planet is to raise their kids properly. Bring back the incentive for two parent families, kids need a mom and a dad. Get kids to graduate high school, wait until married to have kids, and get a job. Rebuild the social fabric starting at family, community, city, state, and then national level.

11. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Let me just tell you they are skewing the data to make themselves look good...they aren’t mentioning the pregnant teacher that was assaulted and the district put the kid right back in the same classroom in a direct violation of the contract...the near daily fights...highest rate of absentee students in the district...I could go on but it’s pointless because they don’t want the bad info to get out and ruin the PR job they’re shoving down people’s throats.

cav115 and brex like this.
  12. sheepofblue

He just seemed like a loud mouth that while talented was a bit longer on talk than performance. OF course I am the opposite as I really don't care for basketball in general which likely also negatively impacts my opinion.

cav115, brex and blkduc like this.
  13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've watched quite a few off the cuff interviews of teachers on youtube and such and its all this and worse in schools all across the country, but obviously in lower privileged/class neighborhoods. It goes without saying that the issues start in the home with the parenting (or lack thereof more accurately) and just downward spirals from there. A good %age of kids these days are rotten, have no shame, no respect for their elders, and just generally take pride in shitty/ignorant behavior.

Having done a bit of volunteer work for underprivileged schools, it's really unfortunate for the few who really want to be there to study and apply themselves and are surrounded by nitwits.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    tl1098 and cav115 like this.
  14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Oh OK. Thanks!

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Welp, that didn't take long. Rotten kids, nice.

16. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Damn, that's brilliant! Absolute genius in response, I see the error of my thinking. Thank you.

17. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Do you fail to see a breakdown in the family unit and culture leading to kids failing in school?

cav115 likes this.
  18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You're welcome! Isn't it lovely to be all polite in our responses, although I'm not sure why you you were responding to me, since I was not responding to you. Also, fair warning, I am killing time until Formula 1 race at 1:00 or so.

19. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I do not. Not sure how characterizing kids as rotten is helpful.

20. sheepofblue

Some are, most are not inherently rotten. Just mini people.