1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Julian Assange arrested in London

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dave Wolfe, Apr 11, 2019.

1. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Jesus dude, his hands and feet were bound and he was being carried out. WTF?

2. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

This. This guy is Australian. If he broke any laws it wasn’t in US territory. I don’t see how the US has jurisdiction. If he broke Australian law they should deal with him. I don’t agree with this guy’s overall philosophy but I don’t see what law he actually broke that applies to him. If we want to get him because he’s an enemy of the state, fine. Just eliminate him. Pretending like the US has any legal jurisdiction over him is hilarious though.

I mean I get it from a power play perspective, but it’s really sad that the American public actually believes the government’s lies that we have any legal right to deal with this guy. Maybe that’s a reason why people like Assange could be viewed as a good thing.

kangasj likes this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you get caught spying and you are not protected be diplomatic immunity, then you certainly can be arrested in a foreign country, assuming that country has an extradition treaty with country you are spying on. Not any different than Cyber crime. If a cyber scammer was in the UK and scamming US citizens, you can bet that they would be arrested and extradited if they could find him. You don't have to be in the country or a citizen of that country to commit a crime there.

The smart criminals commit the crimes from countries that don't have an extradition treaty with the US, so we can't get to them. Alternatively, they have diplomatic immunity so all we can do is kick them out of the country and usually the countries of our allies as well. If JA was smarter he would have stayed in countries that wouldn't ever turn him over to the US. The Ecuadorian embassy in the UK didn't turn out to quite be that place in the long run.

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Part of me wonders if this is all theater and the US is going to give Assange asylum.

5. SGVRider

How could he be a spy if

1. He was a third party who received classified information
    2. He never penetrated systems or conducted espionage himself
    3. He was never a legal custodian of classified information

I suppose I could entertain the argument that he convinced people to commit treason or espionage and that might itself be criminal, but he as a foreign devil certainly isn’t under any legal obligation to protect US classified information. Unless his country has a law or treaty to that effect. In which case, why aren’t they trying him?

First they tried to get him on some trumped up sex charge in Sweden. Coincidentally the Swedes indicted him at the same time the US decided they wanted that ass.

I don’t even have a problem with our government throwing around its weight to punish foreign enemies of the state. What makes me angry is that people actually believe the government’s propaganda and don’t see it for what it is: might makes right.

Don’t get me wrong though, I don’t feel bad for Assange. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. It doesn’t get stupider than an individual embarrassing and angering the world’s greatest power while you live in the territory of that power’s bestest buddy. At least that asshole Snowden had the good sense to run to Russia. I mean he can never leave and Putin will have someone push him down some stairs when he’s outlived his usefulness, but he’ll be doing well until then.

Assange is gonna live the rest of his life as a guest at that concrete hotel in Florence, CO. Going out in a blaze of glory or publicly immolating yourself would be a lot better than that shit.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    kangasj likes this.
  6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

He doesn’t fit the definition of a spy. And, he will not be charged as one.

kangasj likes this.
  7. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Right. Trump was the spy :D. I don't trust the narrative...

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He got tied up and a carrot jammed up his ass because he was acting the bitch when they came to haul him away.

9. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

I've been there. Very short visit. Your description is pretty accurate. Like a holiday inn resort but limited access to the amenities.. :)

10. joec

joec brace yourself

I have a feeling he didn't run because maybe the us got him on Interpol and his passport no more good.

Is austria just like "we no touchy"? I'm guessing he's still an Austrian national.

We should know that innocents were gunshipped. I'm pretty sure that's a war crime and I hope someone was ultimately held responsible if it's true.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If Julian and wiki had exposed China or Russia or NK we'd be
    Well there was the whole illegal spying on American citizens and lying about it which he exposed. Small stuff like constitutional rights violations, that sort of thing.

kangasj likes this.
  12. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I thought that was Snowden?

13. SGVRider

I watched a documentary on that place. The former warden called it “a cleaner version of hell”. Execution definitely looks preferable.

14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

There is I think 4 prisons there do you mean the one that began as a territorial prison? If so that one is likely hell with updates, part of the stone wall is still in use, looks brutal.

15. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

If he had exposed something that the Trump administration had done there would be a tickertape parade for him tomorrow.

stk0308, Rebel635, G2G and 2 others like this.
  16. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Are we even certain they want to lock him up...or do they maybe want him as a witness? Hmmmm

joec likes this.
  17. SGVRider

The US Admax / supermax. See if you can find the documentary on YouTube.

sheepofblue likes this.
  18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The one I mentioned is Colorado was legendary in the Wild West days and not in a good way. Also executed someone for canabalism. There is a women’s prison there also.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

One of our field trips my senior year in HS was to Portsmouth Naval Prison.
    We ate lunch with the prisoners. It was a nasty looking place.

20. joec

joec brace yourself

Baltimore City jail dates to the civil war. And contrary to what the press says, friends who are corrections officers say those portions are still being used. downloadfile-4.jpg