1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Admissions Scandal

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by condon66, Mar 12, 2019.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Like Dr. Pepper is a Doctor or like Julius Erving was a doctor?

4. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

He should have stayed silent. That bragging just exposed his clown ass. While nobody's going to jail over it, his point was rendered bullshit.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I agree 100%. Dr. Dre was a bit tone deaf on this one. I don't doubt he THOUGHT he was getting in front of the curve with a preemptive strike. Swing and a miss.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

At least the whole university gets some benefit from a building.
    Admitting one student in exchange for a building is a great deal.
    If only they were that frugal all the time.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Shit just got real for those who did not take the plea deal. Idiots. You don't go to trial against the federal government unless you really are innocent. Ever. It's not even always a good idea when you are innocent.

8. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

The prison terms these people are looking at are just ridiculous.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What I find most puzzling is how some parents spent $500,000 to achieve what others did with $15,000. If it takes that much money to get your kid into college, just give them the money, wish them luck and kick them out of the house.

10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

That was puzzling me as well. How fucking dumb is your kid that it takes a half million dollar bribe to get them into USC?
    Those parents should be more ashamed of that than the scandal itself.

ducnut likes this.
  11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep, try to negotiate a plea deal and plead guilty. The parents that don’t, are going to be made examples.

The $15,000 wasn’t directly for admission, it was for correcting SAT scores.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wasn't the money still paid to the same intermediary who was coming up with strategies to get those kids into college? If I'm getting this right, then that means that the estimated that some kids just needed a boost on the SAT, whereas others require a lot more help.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I could retire right now with a half a million :(

ducnut likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The money laundering is going to be interesting too, lots of laws out there to nail the mob that can put these idjits away for quite a while.

Yet you can cause racial unrest, waste the time of a metropolitan police force that already has major issues, and get everything swept under the table.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes, same outfit. The thing of it is, as you know, obtaining a better SAT score is very doable, get a coach and some sample test and study, unless you really need a high, high score, which I would guess is what they needed/wanted above the min admission requirements.

I have a feeling some of those parents are going to start coming forward to the Fed with plea deals soon.

Broken arm: $1,500
    Leg break: $2,500. Both $3,500
    Murder: $25,000.
    What ever your kid needs. :D

16. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

ducnut likes this.
  17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Shit. I was just talking with my wife, if we hit the million dollar 5-out-of-6 on the powerball, we'd probably take one day off to go to Austin & get the check... then back to work.

:(

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep, would certainly bolster the retirement account and maybe buy a new toy but other then this, back to the grind.

19. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I mean, she only chairs the house financial services committee. How in the hell is she supposed to know the government took over student lending almost a decade ago. :crackup:

Do we have any of her constituents on this board?

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Hey man, you can't blame her. It's not like she voted for the bill or anything.
    Oh...wait...
    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll167.xml