1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

The email I got said it was open to non members to shoot.I'm not sure if that means that I'd have to come with you or you could just show up, but I could find out. Just $25 entry for everyone for the match. I just looked and There is one this weekend and may 11th. If I'm in town on may 11th I'll probably try to shoot that one.

XFBO likes this.
  2. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the Glock 17 vs 19? I would be using it mainly for a CCW (applied for the permit today!!). Most reviews I have looked at say they are a toss up for being better...but the 19 usually edges it out for concealment.

My brother has a 17 and uses it for his CCW. He likes it but admits it is bulky depending on the clothes.

Anyone have any real life experiences to add?

3. r6khari

r6khari Well-Known Member

How do you plan to carry? For pocket carry I'd go as small as possible, like the 43 or 26. IWB either 26 or 19. If you're wearing it on your hip OWB either 19 or 17 fits the bill, but I like the smaller size of the 19 better.

4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Do you have small/normal/large hands?

I'm a fan of the M&P Shield, if not mistaken it's MUCH smaller than either of those Glocks, when you go shopping I'd suggest adding the M&P Shield to your comparison list. IMHO, if the gun is too big to carry comfortably, you'll probably not carry it as often.

I have large-ish hands and that lil single stack 9mm fits fine WITH the extended mag.

Funny this came up, I just went for my CCP test (written&range) today. :D

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

The grip length is a minor issue on the 17 when carrying IWB

Honestly, the 19 sticks out a tad too, but i am the only one who notices. I carried for a month before my wife noticed. Most people in public are not scrutinizing your waistband looking for a gun.

I carry between 4:00 and 5:00 in an alien gear holster, fwiw.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Build? Dressing style? Some “fluffier” people can gets away with more.

7. Potts N Pans

Thanks for the insight. I think I will do the 19.

8. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

Have a gun store nearby with a range? Go see both, touch them and have a knowledgeable sales rep walk you through sizing the pistol for your hands. Then buy ammo and shoot them.

If no range, still go put them both in hand and look for a holster that'll fit well and allow for accurate deployment while still having good fitment. Also do some research about where you want to carry (which body position) and try different holsters that are designed for that style of carry.

As far as the gun goes, they're identical except for upper frame (including barrel) length, length of grip and the 17 comes with mags that hold 2 more rounds. 17 is the bigger brother of the 19.

I would suggest affixing a light to your pistol if you can manage the fitment in a proper holster and on your body in a comfortable place. Seeing what your're shooting in dark places is important.

And although body type is important in relation to how/where you carry a pistol, clothing and holsters can be combined to cover quite a few options. I've got everything from a G43 through an FNX45Tac and have to be able to conceal them all. It takes practice but can be done.

Good luck, train often.

9. Potts N Pans

I have shot the 17 many times, and I really like it. Hopefully I can shoot the 19 to make sure it is a good fit like you suggest.

Out of the M9, S&W .45 ACP, and 17, I am the most comfortable with the Glock. I'm thinking the 19 will be a solid choice.

:beer: Hollywood

10. Potts N Pans

I got the Glock 19 today. Did the Blue Label program and got 100.00 off!! :beer:

sanee, jrsamples and Steeltoe like this.
  11. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

hard to beat a 19. its a good multipurpose gun like a 600cc bike lol

wsmc42 likes this.
  12. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Good for you. I love being a blue label dealer. We sell a ton of Glocks that way.

Potts N Pans and Hollywood like this.
  13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

OK since some of the guys were actually using the ADV thread to discuss ADV bikes I thought I'd continue our riflescope convo here Newshooter. :D

I was actually looking at the Athlon Argos or Helos, they both seem to get great reviews. I just can't decide if the 8x34x56 is worth the upgrade over the 6x24x50.....thoughts on those models and specs? And to what distances they'd be good for???

Cuz as I found out today, my Nikon M223 (1-4x20) on my AR is kinda useless once you go beyond 50 yds....lol.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I've had an Argos BTR for about a year. It was originally on my NRL22 gun, then my 6.5 for the winter. Now its on my 7-08 for the summer. For $350, its pretty good. I'd check out the Vortex Diamondback Tactical, if that's your price range. For $1000(or cheaper for MOA), buy a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2, 5-25. I personally would bother with anything more than ~25x unless you're shooting F class or something.

XFBO likes this.
  15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Actually I don't use more than 20x a lot at distance, I'll use max power at 100 yards to shoot little dots though. My best long range match was shot at 12x for most of the day due to the mirage from the heat in the summer. When it's cool and calm I'll shoot closer to max power at distance. High magnification and cheaper glass isn't a good combo.

XFBO likes this.
  16. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Exactly this. I normally run mine around 10-12x. Turn it up higher for zeroing or shooting groups, but you don't need more than 20x. If you're set on higher magnification, bring lots of $$ because cheaper glass turned up high does not work well.

What type of shooting are you doing? That will help pick the right scope. Another thing to consider is getting a fixed power scope because the glass quality is very high and the cost is very good so the bang for your buck is better. I'm a big fan of SWFA scopes, I have several. Before other budget scopes like Athlon came along, SWFA was king of the budget scopes. Their 10x fixed is extremely popular.
    https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

They also have a 10x that is cheaper but this one has the better glass.

XFBO likes this.
  17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

My ahem... pistol build in 300 blackout is ready for a range day, PSA pistol lower with their enhanced trigger, Andro Corp industries 10.5 inch upper, law tactical folding stock adapter, Sig romeo 5 red dot, vortex 3X magnifier, and a few other bits. Still waiting on the ACH charing handle from Geissele. AR's were never my thing but assembling this piece definitely showed me the appeal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wingnut, wsmc42, Steeltoe and 2 others like this.
  18. Potts N Pans

Turns out there is a back order of 700 Glock 19 through the BLP so it might be a bit before that gun makes it my way.

Sucks because I report to my next assignment next month :(

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@lizard84
    That's a nice build.
    How much did you pay for the magnifier?
    ballpark.

20. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

$199, Amazon