1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent tachs for old bikes with minimal wire harnesses

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by crashman, Apr 3, 2019.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am looking for a tach for my 86 7/11. Wiring harness is completely stripped and it is a total loss ignition. I have tried a couple different tachs but the needle seems to be very erratic. What is there on the market that works well, doesn't break the bank and does not use much power?

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I have a spare OEM tach from my oiler parts horde.

PM if interested.

3. Mike 122

Mike 122 Ride!

I've had good luck with the Koso RX-2NR...needle was always stable

KosoRX2.jpg KosoTach001.jpg

4. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

Some of the guys I race with in AHRMA have the Koso
    Seems to work well, I go through tachos on my ZXR so I’m going Koso when the next one breaks

5. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

I've used a few KOSOs, no problems yet. The programmable two color shift light is a nice touch.

6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

7. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Anyone use the Scitsu from the UK?

8. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

What type of ignition, and do you have a battery. I run a digitron on my Bighorn, its works pretty well with my HPI ignition (Similar to PVL). I have no battery, the tach runs on 2 AA batteries.

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I've been using a Scitsu tach for over 25 years.

It appears to be pretty accurate. I have the original type that you charge and it just requires wrapping a wire around an HT lead. I've always followed the instructions and never had any real problems. It is important that you use the original bracket, I've had the experience as well as others I've known to have it break when not using it. Also, if you get one, get a spare set of the small rubber mounts, these will deteriorate over time and will need replacing.

CR750 likes this.
  10. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'm in agreement with Robin, except for the 25yr part:)

I have a Koso on my streetbike and it works great.....I'm not sure about the "bells and whistles" that Yamageezer mentions, but I will be checking that out.

11. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I had 2, one has lasted forever (10+ years), the other was a POS from new then just quit. The tach was less than a half of season old ant they told me to buy another one, I replaced it with a Koso which requires no charging) and is cheaper.