1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations needed - Lasik Surgery - ATL

Discussion in 'General' started by GA Buckeye, Mar 28, 2019.

1. GA Buckeye

GA Buckeye Member

As the title states, looking for recommendations for Lasik surgeons in the greater ATL area. TIA!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Been a while but I did Lasik Plus. Chain with lots of places but not a mall kiosk kind of joint.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

My buddy his at one of those lasik places off Cobb pkwy/75/41/285 area.

Seemed like a quality operation and that's all they did.

Plus the operation area has large windows so you can see people getting lased

Phl218 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, boss watched mine :D

5. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

6. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Lasic Plus for me as well. 285/75 just inside 285. I had mine done about 6 or 7 years ago? still no issues. I did near sight in one eye, far in the other. it's been great as I get older and don't have to hold things at arms length to read them. ;)

and yes folks get to watch you get lasered. Technically I had to have PRK because of my corneas so more pain and longer recovery but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Woolfson is great for sure. That's where the boss goes for all her surgeries and check ups.

8. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

If your Lasik in Atlanta falls through and you end up in the military stationed near Savannah...

I had PRK back in 2012 and still 20/15. It was at FT Stewart.

Good luck with the surgery! Crisp vision is a game changer!! :beer:

YamahaRick and CMRA 270 like this.
  9. GA Buckeye

GA Buckeye Member

Thank ya!

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Definite lack of “I see what you did there” in here

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I've been hemming n hawing on pulling the trigger on this procedure. Back when I came close to doing it, I didn't realize getting it done screwed up your reading vision, I wasn't relying on reading glasses just yet.

I wondered if they offered one eye for far and the other for reading....not sure how I feel about that..... no regrets huh gt#179???
    Do they recommend doing the strong eye for the nearsighted eye correction?

Also, any particular procedure recommended over the other? I seem to recall they used to do the flap whereas now they don't???

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

It did not screw up my reading vision. I had it done in 2001. I wear readers now because of eye aging not the Lasik procedure. I believe they still do the flap, but they no longer need to touch your eye to do it, they did when I had it done. It was the best money I have ever spent.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    pjdoran, CMRA 270 and XFBO like this.
  13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This. The doc was very clear when I did mine, cannot stop natural aging of the eye.

14. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

whats the price on lasik nowadays?

15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

You can go cheap at $250 an eye on an old laser, or drop about $5000 for both eyes for the latest laser platform. There is a difference in price.

16. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

whats the difference on old laser and new laser?

17. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

I'm going to give you a bit of a cautionary tale; I had very poor vision, like 20/480 roughly in both eyes. I had lasik done in 2001 and it was THE BEST money I had ever spent! I enjoyed 12-20/20 in both eyes with very few issues until December of 2018 when I woke up one morning with a torn retina. That torn retina was repaired, but more tears returned. Beyond the laser surgeries to repair, I've 3 full on under general anesthesia since then including a "buckle" which is a band around my eyeball. For the next surgery, I get to have the cataract removed that forms after so many surgeries (and age, but evidently surgeries accelerate it). Instead of being able to repair the cataract with a new lens and have 20/20 vision again, the complications for the original lasik will cause issues and complexities. At best case I'll have shitty vision in that eye. At worst, I'll lose all of my vision which quite frankly, might be better as all I see is a hazy white light out of it now.

To make things even worse....my left eye is now showing symptoms of a torn retina...flashes of light. Shit. I had 18-19 years of perfect vision. No all people experience complications, but do yourself a favor AND GOOGLE THE ISSUES as they're more widespread than you might think...if I had to do it over and gamble...I'd do it again though...it's that good.

Just making sure you've got all the info. Good luck in your decision!

Phl218 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  18. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

As noted above, do all your research. Search for Jessica Starr Lasik (Detroit News reporter), real sad story

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would it screw up your reading vision? It didn't hurt mine a bit, getting older and being on computers damn near 24/7 it seems as well as reading in bad light all my life did that to me. Not the lasik.

There is no offer for reading. There is nothing that will currently correct getting presbyopia - old fart eyeballs. They correct near and far and I'd guess could balance your eyes if you're one in each eye but that isn't remotely the same thing.

If you're nearsighted in both just do both and wish you'd done it decades ago...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Boss has had cataracts replaced in both eyes, torn retinas in both (one zapped and a bubble in it, one buckle), some yag laser stuff to clear up some things. Definitely sucks but even she would do all of that AND lasik if it'd help her vision :D