1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto2 race bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Has anyone thrown a leg over one? I have a buddy that bought a couple ex-Moto2 Kalex bikes. Supposedly I'm going to get to ride it one of these days.

https://www.gpmotorbikes.com/index.php/en/moto2/kalex-moto2-zarco-tribute-detail

Chassis looks incredibly trick, software is the same manufacturer as the software in the D-air hump. So supposedly it's pretty simple to access.

I believe the rules ban traction control but it has wheel speed sensors. I know the spec fuel for Moto2 is some ELF stuff, but we can't find specs on it so it needs a re-map for something else. Not an issue he's dealt with before as most of the bikes end up going to collectors. The Honda 600 engine does have higher compression than stock. Supposedly around 135HP and 145KG.

If the price was right I'd love to lay my hands on one to race CCS GP classes and LW F40. Anyone know how these bikes make their way from the paddock to private hands once the season is over?

Phl218 likes this.
  2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

One of my buddy's attended some sort of event at Mugello last year, I think Suter was having something going on there. They had their MMX500 and Moto2 bikes. It looked like Marcel Schrotter's Dynavolt bike that he was riding.

Didn't really get any details on the minutiae of it, but he sounded over the moon about riding it, said he enjoyed it alot more than the S1000RR he was riding the rest of the time there. His regular bike is a nicely modded R6.

Nick Deinhard likes this.
  3. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I was wondering about those bikes yesterday while watching the races. Are most teams running the same chassis design? How many different chassis's are being used in the Moto2 field?

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm fairly sure they are starting with brand new frames from the ground up, doubt they could possibly be running the same chassis from the Honda years. They have a new motor with different HP/torque characteristics to contend with, not to mention electronics are now in play. So the forces acting upon the chassis and how its configured to generate flex, create stiffness and provide mechanical grip I'm sure has to be much different with the new engine/electronics package.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I believe I heard that NTS found that the Triumph engine was better suited to there chassis than the Honda. So they did not redesign it.

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Moto2 is getting more electronics? These bikes have spec ECU's, no TC. There is wheel speed sensors, and also potentiometers but those could just be for data logging. Shift sensor so I'm assuming quick shift, hopefully auto blip too?

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My understanding is that they have the hardware but it's been neutered. They were originally going to use TC with the new engine but decided against it. I think I heard an explanation but I can't remember. Activating TC would not require a change of hardware. At least, that's how I understood it.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yes....along with the switch to Triumph 765 triple engine in 2019 came opening it up to more electronic aids.

https://www.cycleworld.com/magneti-...tronics-suite-for-triumph-powered-moto2-bikes

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I had no idea those things did not have TC. I like the class even more now. More raw motorcycle racing and in my opinion it takes more talent to ride it.

10. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

I love the way those guys look coming through a turn, front wheel turned one way, rear tire another and they are flying through the turn, pure awesomeness.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

had lots of talks with Simone Corsi when racing at Daytona this past October. The moto2 bikes are insanely rigid and stiff. Gotta go out of your comfort zone to get feel from them. The firmer carcass of the dunlop spec tire contributes to this to some degree, but way more of this is in the frame, swingarm and forks he said.

13. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Joe Roberts got one pole in Moto2.

Seems to make a difference! :D

14. Heard the same. They are monsters to ride as the chassis is meant to work in a very fine set of parameters and unless pushed very hard they don’t want to work.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

FTFY

Steeltoe, TX Joose and MELK-MAN like this.
  16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

not necessarily the ideal weapon for us club racer types.. imo.

17. Not even close to it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

This one was raced in AFM couple years back. It is for sale
    https://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541797

JCW likes this.
  19. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

You think an expert club racer wouldn't win if they were riding an equivalently powered 600cc production bike?

20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Unless it's Chuck Norris or Greg Melka

MELK-MAN likes this.