1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Same. I keep a McStick tied on. Just a really good way to cover water, even in stained water. In the summer I will have a soft plastic, fluke or KVD Caffeine Shad, I like to use a treble hook as a second hook tied to the EWG for when they’re swiping at it. I throw mine on flouro and with the soft plastics i control depth with how far past the eye I put the nose or use a belly weighted hook for deeper.

With the water so high, 6&20 has some good flipping spots.

I’ve been using Feiders way of rigging a worm for a substitute for Ned. Texas rig without the nose weight and put a half moon sinker in the tail. Comes through cover amazing.

I’ve been pitching that Tokyo rig ,2/0 lately. Caught a 3.6 Sat on it and a Missile Baby D Bomb.

2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I can only imagine trying to read this as someone that doesn’t fish. :confused::crackup:

3. BHP41

Well. Now that you point it out :oops::D

4. You made me think of something I overlook in this thread which are kind of staples of fishing. A jig is one of them. You can throw them a bunch of different ways year round and are truly one of the most effective baits. Even fish suspending midway in a fairly deep water column can he had on a swim jig. It stained water a bladed jig (chatterbait, etc) can be a bit more effective but in other cases might turn some fish away. At night I always use a blades jig and on regular jigs I always try to use some sort of rattle. The dual rattle from bass pro has been good to me and they are inexpensive as well. Like most things in fishing it’s really hard to tell if they have a 100% effect or not as there are so many factors and I’m not about to sort through all my data to verify that :) I was given a couple of these to try, kind of a hybrid of sorts. So far so good. Great with swim baits to catch a lathargic fish or just a plastic of your choosing. Also one thing to keep in mind with jigs is the skirt. Often times I’ll super sort my skirts by either cutting them down, adding a bit of sharpie color to strands, etc. Look in 95% of pros tackle boxes and you will see sharpies. The metallic ones are great as well. Also I always have that shiny silver Mylar tape. It’s grear to add to a crank bait, jerk bait, etc to get some extra flash if needed. Sometimes you can be very primitive and small additions to your rigs have large effects. Also don’t be afraid to mix skirt and trailer colors. Sometimes what’s not “textbook” matches works. Yesterday I used a purple skirt with an ice white strike king rage and caught a few. I’ve also used blue/ black and green but my all year round go to color is June bug (purple). Works pretty much everywhere day or night. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Decoy_Zero-Dan_Flash_3_0__Offset_Hook_5_16_oz/descpage-DZDFO.html
    Sorry for the poor grammar and lack of proper paragraphs. I’m actually taking a bit of a break for a conf call which they are late for parked at my buddies dock so I can use his WiFi. Its 50 and dropping fast so the ride to the dock is going to be a bit cold. Have to be home by 6 to get kids ready for school. Caught a couple 3ish and few 1 -1.5’s tonight. Nothing worth weighing. Slumming it in my buddies “old” 2018 ranger with “old” 2019 electronics. He’s in Ok with his new boat and the good electronics, it’s hard to survive with this older 360 pan optics and only 2 12” and a 17” screen. He’s got both his 22” with him. Selfish f$ckwr :).

5. See my post below. I didn’t even read this before I posted. You take for granted what you know (or don’t). I know a decent bit but when I am able to get out with my buddy’s that bass fish for a living I realize how little I know. I have one who fishes very basic fundamental stuff and the other is polar opposite always trying crazy stuff, uses electronics A LOT which can help or hurt you. I can tell you the one who uses more fundamental fishing makes a lot more $ on tour. Just like data on a bike, you can get lost in it if you don’t know what it’s tellig you or you overthink it.

6. I have more caffeine shad’s than I could use in 10 years. Probably a good 300 of them in all sizes and colors. Forget their name for it but the dark green/ brown (not pumpkin) with white belly and belly weighted strike king 4/0 with small spinner works great pre/ spawn and post. You can fish it a lot of different ways.

One thing for newer folks to do which I think is a must is know what your rod actions are doing to the bait. Try to find some clear shallow water and do what you thought was correct and see what the baits doing. Try different techniques, especially critical with plastics in colder water where the fish aren’t as eager to move. There are a ton of good YouTube videos. Try one new thing each time you are out. Don’t overload yourself like I made the mistake of doing trying too many new things at once.

7. I have more caffeine shad’s than I could use in 10 years. Probably a good 300 of them in all sizes and colors. Forget their name for it but the dark green/ brown (not pumpkin) with white belly and belly weighted strike king 4/0 with small spinner works great pre/ spawn and post. You can fish it a lot of different ways.

One thing for newer folks to do which I think is a must is know what your rod actions are doing to the bait. Try to find some clear shallow water and do what you thought was correct and see what the baits doing. Try different techniques, especially critical with plastics in colder water where the fish aren’t as eager to move. There are a ton of good YouTube videos. Try one new thing each time you are out. Don’t overload yourself like I made the mistake of doing trying too many new things at once.

8. And for drop shots I use VMC spinner hooks of various sizes and styles, I’ve just had better luck with them. Always on flouro leaders and proper drop shot weights. Rarely use tungsten weighs unless I’m fishing somewhere where I’m feeling the bottom contour. One nice thing about proper drop shot weights is it takes about 3s to change the length, it’s rhe only time where a long tag end is acceptable.
    One more note on tag ends. They can really f up the way a crank bait tracks. Tie a good knot, I like to cinch mine between the ends so the double up part can be free to move on the eye of the bait. Take the time to check how it’s travelling in the water before you make a bunch of casts. Adjust accordingly to get it to track relatively straight. Also don’t be aftraid to add a split shot (I prefer bullet style ) to a crank, jerk, swim etc bait to get it to go a bit deeper. I put mine about 18” from the knot. Just far enough away where although not ideal doesn’t f up my casting.

9. BHP41

Yeah. I’m with you on jigs. I throw them year round and 90% of the time it’s some sort of ball head. They are just so versatile. I usually have a two or three different trailers in my pocket for a quick change. The other day I was fishing around docks and then a grass line with the same jig just swapped the trailer out.

Skirts also. I feel that most skirts are to long to start with, I will cut them to just past the hook. The trailer has much better action IMO when doing this. The time that I have a log skirt is when using living rubber on a mop jig for deep offshore structure or on a football head in the same situation.

Sizes, I throw 3/8,1/2 and 3/4. I have a couple of 1 oz but use them rarely. I have to say that if I had to pick one it would be a 1/2 oz green pumpkin. Around here I like to have some sort of orange in the trailer.

Yes on the sharpies! It’s crazy how small things can make a huge difference.

You going out on the lake for the Elite event? I have 2 friends coming down although they want to fish. They planned this months ago and took time off. I didn’t realize until last week that the weekend they chose was when the Elites are in town. ‍♂️

10. BHP41

I’ll have to try the spinner hooks. I use a neko hook for my dropshots and Trokar has come out with their ProV style in a Neko. Love that hook.

Interesting on the split shot. I’ll give that a go this weekend.

I know you don’t use spinning tackle for drop shots but for those that do, I’ve been doing something different with my leader. Instead of 3-4 feet I’ve been putting on about 15-20 yards. It’s made a big difference in how fast I can get the bait down. Sometimes with braid it digs and causes it to hang or just doesnt come off the spool as quick. With that much flouro it just drops. Been very helpful in hunting spots. Got that from listening to Hunter Shryock.

11. BHP41

I went to the community pool early in the morning with a backpack full to see how changing things effected the action. Had a couple times that people that lived around weren’t thrilled and asked me not to do it anymore. But hey, gotta do what you can. Lol

12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

At that point, why even do a “leader”? Wouldn’t it be easier to just spool straight fluoro? Heck, if I’m drop-shotting, I may not even have that much line out total.

13. BHP41

I can use that setup all weekend and never have to worry about tying on a new leader. The flouro comes off the spool much better than braid when vertical fishing but if I want to cast it, I still have the benefits of the braid. The braid can stay on there all year and I never have to worry about twists or it getting memory so I just have to tie on a small bit of new flouro every week. Much cheaper.

14. Best place to do it. I’d dress like cousin Eddie next time to really piss them off :)

15. Exactly. Flouro sucks ass if not used a lot and if you get a back lash you have to be way too careful. I can tie a new leader on in about a minute. I usually tie about 10’ or so and eventually need to cut it off and tie a new one as I usually waste a lot when tying knots as I’ll take ease of tying vs waste any day.

16. I actually broke down and bought, sort of bought, a really good spinning reel just for drop shots in open waster. He spools his the same as you and I haven’t changed it on that reel. I think it’s cursed though. I can’t catch much on it :). It will pull up some massive crappie when not fishing for crappie though.

17. I’m not sure if I’ll be on the actual water but I can tell you by the time Monday rolls around I’ll have a bunch of new free shit. Met an exec VP of a very large lure company on the plane when he was on his way to the clasaic. Showed him some pics of me using their stuff. I’ve kept in touch with him and he send me A LOT of stuff every few months. Funny thing is I don’t like throwing crank baits. Hate throwing them but will when needed. Only time I don’t mind them is bouncing a square bill off some rocks.

18. BHP41

I love me some cranking. So if you want to lighten your tackle box up. I’m always open to getting more cranks that get StriKes. Lol

It’s going to be interesting this year with so many big names in MLF but for me I like seeing new faces and they’re are definitely some under rated hammers this year. Those Johnston brothers from Caanida have been showing out.

19. The fishing is getting really divided with MLF, FLW and Bass. I like MLF format a lot better to watch and follow, they’ve done a good job. My buddy is in OK Right now for FLW, I was trying to head out with him but no deals. Always wanted to fish that lake.

20. All I know is the 37-5 bag last week. Holy sh$t.