1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Fuck, dont remind me. Just ordered the boy his custom set of leathers last week also. I just tell the wife to dont tell what is left in the bank, just yell stop if we can't make the house payment...:crackup:

2. I’m about to head out for the first time in a bit at night. Going to be interesting as I have a nice scratched eyeball and black eye. Long story but certainly no cool story. Granite countertop won is all I can say. Totally sober, went to bend down to take off my shoes in the dark. Caught the corner of the countertop dead center of my eyeball. Pretty nice shiner developing since about 1am. I don’t drink so I was sober. Pretty sure I’m just going to tell people I was drunk. No other reason to be that stupid. Stupid does hurt, especially in the sun.

3. Money very well spent, you get the ones that were on sale? About $100 off or so? If so that’s a damn good set.

4. Found a 2010 Skeeter sl210 with only 49 hours on it, all new batteries, freshly serviced. Was serviced regukarly wether it needed it or not, kept in heated “garage” looks more like a huge workshop for a rich guy, 200 Vmax. It will need better electronics but that would be almost any boat I buy. This is a friend of a friend so the guys offering me a very very fair price. I’m sure he could get 5-7k more but he doesn’t seem like the type of guy who would want to deal with the hassle.

5. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Any recommendations on waders? Bank confinement is restricting my musky fishing.

6. Yes, go in a boat :). I’ll have to look up the ones I have. They are cabelas upper end brand. One big thing is type of footwear and inner liner of waders. What temps do you plan to use them in? I got mine for trout fishing, I want to try to get fly fishing down this season then I’ll peobably quit because most fly fisherman I’ve met are yuppie idiots. Almost everyone I’ve met I’ve wanted to kick in the cock.

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Spend the money, get simms, I'm a guide and have fished 300+ days on the same pair of waders with no leaks

8. I usually buy high (er) end stuff. I really planned to go trout fishing once maybe twice. I actually have some Simms rain stuff, paid about 30% of retail as a buddy is sponsored by them. Great rain gear. Even in the cold and wind.

9. assjuice cyrus

Yea I think so. Gortex 100 mph rated. 219.99 for bibs and 249 for parka.

10. Ya thats them.

11. I’m heading out in 10 min. Going to be rough. Smacked my eye on corner of granite countertop and sunlight hurts. Look like I got punched by a very large man (or woman).

12. groundhogday

I would say mid 30s to low/mid 60s. Anything warmer and I'm just wearing shorts. I really do need a boat, but anywhere I'd be wading the only viable option is a kayak. Small creeks, mostly under 30 yards across, and shallow with lots of riffles.
    Muskies in our creeks have been spawning, and the lake is flooded into the trees. Makes it rough for a bank fisherman. I see fish almost every time I go to the creek, but from what I've learned they eat little to nothing during the spawn. Hopefully I can get my first "on purpose" musky soon.

13. assjuice cyrus

Im goning to try and get out later this week or early next week depending on how much time I have to get the boat out of storage. When its cold like this, what should I start throwing? What are bass doing when its cold like it is here in Ohio. Today is high of 41 low of 25. Will get to 56 towards then end of the week and then back down to a high of 36 Sunday.

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Just sold my boat yesterday. Now it’s time to start shopping ... and fighting the “full retard” tendencies. :crackup:

15. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Jerkbait and lipless crank. Don’t get all involved with the jerkbait and cadence. Throw it, twitch it a couple times and let it pause. General rule of thumb is the colder the water, the longer the pause. Start with two seconds and work a longer pause from there. Megabass Vision 110 is a good one. I like the McStick from SPRO and KVDs from StrikeKing.

Lipless, start with a yo yo retrieve.

Both are cold water killers. Add a drop shot in there two and you should catch some.

Edit: and a jig. I say that but I throw a jig year round. If you do, go with a subtle action trailer since the water temps are cold. Try sweeping your rod to maintain bottom contact and work it slow.

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Sounds dirty.

17. groundhogday

Ned rig! Pay attention to water temp too.

18. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Hey man, I like big girls so sometimes you gotta drag your jig slow and get dirty to get their attention.:D

brex likes this.
  19. Jerk baits all year round for me. No matter what time or the year have at least one but usually two rods with jerk baits on. Unless fishing in really shallow water I use suspending jerk baits a good 90% of the time. I throw them usually on 25 or 30# braid with a good 10-12’ 10 or 12# flouro leader. I found that to be a decent balance of braid not sinking counteracting flouro sinking.

BHP41 likes this.
  20. Ned (ish) drop shot depending on where fish are in the column and bottom you are fishing on. Personal preference as it allows me to be a bit more sloppy.