1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Front & Pirelli Rear Slick - thoughts?

Discussion in 'General' started by AC792, Mar 15, 2019.

1. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

At the end of last season, I torched my front SC1 Pirelli slick and had to buy an Evo Power Slick track side to ride out the remainder of the weekend. Everything felt fine and I didn't notice much of a difference from the SC1 front.

Fast forward to now, I need a new rear for the upcoming season and rode SC1's all last season. Will there be any issues running the SC1 rear and the Evo slick in front? I know it felt fine to me, but are there other complications I am not thinking about?

I would prefer to use the Evo slick (only 1 weekend on it) if possible, but if it's not safe, then I will ditch it and get matching Pirelli front.

Thoughts?

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. I'm pretty new to the slick game. Thanks all.

2. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I know many people who love the Michelin front.

Also keep in mind that Michelin also has brand new tires this year. Meaning different compounds. They did a big test with the designer of the race tires at tally, and the guys who tested them loved them.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Different brands.. Instant crash..maybe falls right off the stands

Sent from my smatrfone

MELK-MAN, SpeedyE and AC792 like this.
  4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Short answer.....use your head and you'll be just fine.

MELK-MAN and AC792 like this.
  5. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

can u go as fast as u could with a new set of matched tires? prob not.
    can u go some speed slower than that? ya probably.
    like always, its up to u to figure out how fast u can go.

AC792 likes this.
  7. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I always liked the Michelin front ever since 2001. Loved them so much I wouldn’t switch brands even though I struggled with their rears always. Never could get a rear to do Shit except evaporate mid race.

8. drop

drop Well-Known Member

@MELK-MAN kicked some ass today on Michelin at Daytona I do believe

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Many races have been won on that combo. No issues. Same experience as everyone else, the Michelin front is magic, the rear not so much in terms of tire life.

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just flip em and all will be well!:crackup:

ToofPic, Wheel Bearing and drop like this.
  11. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the feedback. Sounds like I should be just fine running the Michelin front and Pirelli rear.

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

won a lot of races at Daytona with Evo front/Pirelli daytona spec rears over the past couple years.. No pirelli rears this weekend for me this weekend however. Michelin invested a bunch into getting a presence back to Daytona. They sent an engineer from France and flew a container full of test Daytona spec rears to test. Most were a real success. The softer version didn't last, but that was to be expected. Had it been 15deg F colder, maybe even that rear would have worked. I won the 25 min GTU on a rear that had 8 laps from practice, and then did 10 race laps on it.. was within 2/10ths of my best lap, on last lap. Jason Disalvo finished 8th even though the soft rear somehow got mounted for his first stint (and chunked badly forcing early pit stop) .
    These tires might be available in October at Daytona .. next March for the 2020 Daytona 200 for sure.
    And as someone posted above.. the new Power Performance line (replacing Evo) will be out very soon. Expect some really good things from these tires.

AC792 likes this.
  13. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback! I will have to take a look at the new Michelin when they come out. Will they have a 200/60?

14. drop

drop Well-Known Member

That same engineer was at the tally Michelin test. And tons on people across the pond have went from pirelli to the new Michelin

15. MELK-MAN

give sportbike tire service a call.. they will know.

16. MELK-MAN

when i said "Jason Disalvo finished 8th... " i meant to add "In the DAYTONA 200"
    I discussed pit stops, so maybe some already knew that, but wanted to clarify.

AC792 likes this.
  17. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

@MELK-MAN do you have a guide for tire pressure for the Evo?

18. MELK-MAN

My opinion, HOT on TRACK...
    35psi to 37psi on the front. Faster rider, go with the higher psi.
    24psi hot on track for the rear. (27-28psi at Daytona)
    Do whatever ya need to do to see these pressures on track. I hate discussing cold and on warmer psi.

19. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize how much my tire pressures would swing from warmers to track temp. The above information helped me out a ton when I asked you for advice at Summit in August of 2018. We also figured out that my tire gauge was reading a pound high. Always a good idea to check your gauges.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

do they still make the V shaped front ?