1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by KMC, Feb 6, 2019.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Understood and noted for next year. Thank you sir

ruckusracing likes this.
  2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

From a lifetime fire fighter. And a super great guy.

3. grasshopper

On a serious note I wonder how many people out on the grid know this. A quick mention in the riders meeting would not be a bad thing.

TurboBlew, mike574 and ruckusracing like this.
  4. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I meant to make a video years ago after TVR had the fire in the pits. I had gotten permission from my Dept to use our training facility. Guess I need to get off my ass

5. grasshopper

Yea that could save lives. I'm willing to bet 90% of the people holding a fire bottle on pit lane don't know WTF they are doing.

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I bet that fuel jug seems like it takes FOREVER to empty. :D

mike574 likes this.
  7. Race monitor was pretty up to speed, off a bit but nothing like the feed was.

8. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

So how often did people change tires? I'm sure the top guys changed with every fill up but how many laps can you really expect from tires at Daytona?

9. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

It does but much better then the glug/glug tank from last year

10. grasshopper

Fuel and tires roughly every 20 laps give or take. Last pit stop is fuel only.

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The front will make it the whole race if you’re over 1:53 or so lap times. The rear is shot after 20 laps if you’re hovering around 1:59’s, probably sooner for the fast guys.
    Fuel window is about 19 for the R6’s. It’s a fun race, farther back in the field you can make a lot of positions with good pit strategy. We screwed up last year, due to the timing of me getting lapped (I was looking at the scoring tower to determine when to come in) i went 22 laps on a tank of fuel. By then, due to the early red flag, the race had about 25 to go. I got lapped once more and finished the race on one stop. Pushed me up a few positions!

12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Also, you can still go pretty fast on a trashed rear. The left side is toast, so your drive out of the barrel turn onto the banking will suck, as will the exit of t2. But there’s 2 big infield drives on the right side and the chicane is a right exit.

13. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

put a soft Dunlop front and medium rear on Max #88, first stop fuel only, second stop fuel and soft rear, red flag, 1 gal fuel new front soft. restart and run fastest personal laps in the sprint and finish 12th.
    tim

badmoon692008 and pscook like this.
  14. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Brandon's pit stops and laps when the pit stops happened were seriously impressive. I looked at the lap times, both times were 2:27 something. Compared to some of the other top guys, they were among the fastest. I believe only Kelly had one that was 2:24 something for his first one, but then was off by a couple of minutes on his second one. I was really rooting for Paasch. Would've been a hell of an 18th b-day present to win the D200!

badmoon692008 and MELK-MAN like this.
  15. Manxboy

Manxboy Well-Known Member

We went with new front and rear tires at both pit stops. The confidence I got from having fresh tires on the bike was worth it.
    The immense time and cost that goes into preparing for this race dictated to me to not cut corners to save a little bit of money by not doing both tires at both pit stops.
    I was in the 1.54’s as a reference.
    Just make sure the front tire guys get that front brake lever pumped up for you when that wheel goes back in, and practice, practice, practice those pit stops.
    Pat Mooney.

tawzx12r and MELK-MAN like this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

good point and there had to be more than 50 people tasked with that job. Then you see how the track fire guys are dressed...