1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by KMC, Feb 6, 2019.

1. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

I have no issues with Kyle winning. Very cool and yes he had fastest lap. But that race is also about how good your pitstop is and how consistent you were. Obviously kyle rode great entire race, he was in 3rd when red flag happened. I just feel for the top 2 when the red flag came out.

MELK-MAN and Banditracer like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

But then again, it is a 200(ish) miles race, not 190.

4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

So what was the difference back in the day when Formula Extreme went to 600’s and you were killing it on the Erion bike? Way higher state of tune on the engine making up for your size?

5. Evolution247

Evolution247 Well-Known Member

6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Awesome event Changing wheels during a pit stop will always be more intense than any racing I've ever done...

Steeltoe, seroj and Manxboy like this.
  7. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Was out of town this weekend and just watched the race. I was pulling for Josh Hayes and he didn't disappoint. He rode right at the front until the first stop. Not sure what happened during his stop, but he fell out of the lead pack. Kyle ran out of fuel heading to the pits on one stint. Needless to say he was fast. Real fast. Unfortunate circumstance on that stint took him out of contention at that point.
    The guy that impressed me was Brandon Paasch. After winning the KTM Cup a few years ago, he struggled a bit moving to 600s. Remember his brief stint with Team Hammer? He regrouped, put in the work and headed to Europe last year. I follow him on Facetubes and he's on a bike constantly and running podium level in the series he's racing in Europe. His work paid off. He ran right at the front at Daytona all day. He mixed it up with a bunch of top pros and held his own. He didn't win this one, but I bet he'll get a watch at some point.
    Kyle was fast and looked to be every bit the dominate bike earlier that he displayed the last lap until his pit/gas issue. I enjoy Kyle coming on here and sharing his experiences, so I'm glad he won it. I'll be pulling for him on that Duc this year too. All in all, I thought it was a great race. Early on when it was 10 or 11 bikes mixing it up was killer to witness. The drafting those laps was...just wow.

8. Manxboy

Manxboy Well-Known Member

That was beyond cool, making it a family affair having you on the crew, and doing the exact job for us that I’d done for Barney the last three years.
    Definitely an intense experience, whether you’re on the bike or on the crew.
    Pat Mooney.

Steeltoe, TurboBlew and seroj like this.
  9. Manxboy

Manxboy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that picture got covered up on Facebook with a warning attached to it!
    Pat Mooney.

10. hayes131

hayes131 Well-Known Member

A 150hp 600 definitely helps!! There weren’t many bikes tuned quite like ours out there. I was also 10lbs lighter back then, and in Supersport, it was still an issue. When the went back to Supersport rules, it just got harder.

11. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Josh - watching you crush people in the chicane for so many years, I’ve tried to figure that out for a long time. This year was the first time I feel like I could pull off the elusive “Hayes line.”

After struggling to lead a lap in the first stint (pack racing, drafting), and pulling a gap in the second stint, I knew what I had to *try* to do in that final sprint.

Thanks for the inspiration, and thanks to everyone who has cheered me on, congratulated me, etc.

This weekend was a culmination of many years of work, and there was no part of me that wasn’t tested in that race. I was able to show up for it and that’s what I’m most satisfied with.

Eternally grateful for all of it.

KW

12. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

Congrats KW:beer:

13. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member

Congratulations Kyle, this year's race was pretty spectacular. Well done sir. Good luck the rest of the year.

14. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

What is the reasoning behind not allowing work to the bikes under the red flag?

15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

(not singling you out individually cb186.. )

you guys DO realize the Fanschoice stream is EASILY 20 seconds behind the real time ?? You CAN'T watch fans choice tv and do the announcing. Pat G and Richard C are announcing for nearly 2 solid hours. Continually, all the while coming up with shit to say, remember what about who, when what guy did what last year, and they have a couple of on track small monitors to view what is fed to them from control.. oh.. and do it in a way that is entertaining. Will they get shit mixed up? you bet. But it's not like having to call a 20 lap sprint race, with no pit stops, and a running order that may only have 5-9 guys on a lead lap. Ya'll need to find something else to bitch about. This duo has been calling races at DIS for over 20 years. When you've been in the sport, actually making a mark, for that long. Feel free to step up and take over.. ;)

mike574, Manxboy, 418 and 5 others like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Takes luck out of it. Had too many instances where one team would gain a huge advantage over their competitors by being lucky when a red came out to either fix an issue they were having or even just do a normal pit stop. You would have two teams having a great race and all of a sudden one is a lap down because they did their pit under green and the other team waited a bit longer and got lucky with a red flag. You can never write rules to remove all good and bad luck but I do what I can to keep it to a contest between the racers on track.

We will allow safety fixes and push come to shove you can skip the warm up lap for the restart, do a lap, then come in and pit if you were pushing things that close before the red. If you don't make the start you lose a lap - which keeps people from just sitting on pit lane and doing a pit stop after the green and gaining a bunch of time on the other teams.

rafa and Phl218 like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dude. Come on now :crackup:

Don't know Pat but we'll have to swap Richard stories in person some day :D

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Greg right on the money! Lazyboy riding & beer drinking guys that comment without ever being at the Big D need to pony up and show up at the Biketoberfest round later this year. Or Big D 200 next March!

MELK-MAN likes this.
  19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I have to correct you here, Greg. They are announcing for 3 days straight! They announce every sprint race like it's the 200. And I was listening, because I was pitted way out and I had the radio station on to hear the race calls. Those guys get far more right than they do wrong.

As a side note, I met Dylan Grey this weekend. I didn't know it was him, was bench racing with some friends in the pits and we started talking about MotoGP. The whole time I'm thinking, "this guy sounds just like that Dylan Grey guy." Finally he introduces himself as Dylan.

What a great guy, lover of racing, (and a good rider himself)...would fit right in with us in any race paddock. We are really lucky to get him for Moto America.

20. Yes it is. Especially the ones changing them, you never want to the “that guy” who made a mistake during a pit stop f ing up the 200 for the team. But for the record, I had a perfect front wheel change :). If I f’ed it up I probably would’ve just left with my head down and went and hung out with the Harley folks so I didn’t feel so bad

Manxboy and Banditracer like this.