1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Take offs

Discussion in 'General' started by Nytrozula, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Nytrozula

Nytrozula Well-Known Member

How much wear is left on a tire that the rider claims to have only raced once on? This is a rider that isn't in the top 20% but more like a middle of the pack racer. How much difference is there is brand new tires and ones that have been used for a whole track day by a similar rider?

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Way too many variables to answer that. Check for wear bars or dots on slicks.

BigBird, track wagon and Jon Wilkens like this.
  3. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

It's not just the wear. Heat cycles are what kills tires and you have no idea how many heat cycles were put on the tires. Unless you personally know the rider and were at the event there's no way I'd buy takeoffs from someone. Tires are the one thing that can ruin your day in a heartbeat and you need to think about that.

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I've been running take-offs for years without issue. As mentioned, it depends on who used them and where.

A tire that was used at Jennings for a sprint race is going to look a hell of a lot different than a tire used at VIR or Barber for the same distance, at least for somebody at the pointy-end of expert pace.....

SpeedyTide likes this.
  5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If I was going to use them I'd want to know I could trust that they guy they came from used them properly, warmers etc. I wouldn't just buy them off some random guy.

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

People on here act like if a tire isn't put to bed with a warm glass of milk and read a story somehow it is going to shoot you to the fucking moon the first time you open the throttle.

If the damn thing has rubber left, is less than a few years old, and doesn't feel or look like it was stored in the Sahara desert during that time, just run the fucking thing.

If you're not setting times within a few seconds off winning expert pace, you probably wouldn't feel much of a difference anyways........

IMHO.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

1 race... Endurance at Talladega.

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  8. Nytrozula

Nytrozula Well-Known Member

OK, so I'm guessing this guy is replacing the tires because financially he can and doesn't care as much as I would. He is not a fast racer by any means so his take offs are probably worth buying to use for track days. I just entered the advanced group so sounds like they would be good enough for me

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

10. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

How much difference does it make?
    90% of that is in your head. If wear markers are OK and the tire doesn't look like a rainbow or feel like plastic, you'll probably be fine.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I just bought back a bike I had sold in 2013 that has a front on it that came from the DMG NOLA race in 2012.... So its a 7 year old GPa that is worn pretty well out. Made a trip To TWO in Suches yesterday and it never did anything wrong... Still had a reasonable amount of feel and grip.
    Odds are pretty good a lightly worn take off will serve you well for a track day provided it is the right tire and compound.
    We have NEVER bought new skins for a trackday. Ever. Save that money for a race. If you have someone you trust that yiu can get used tires from.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Believe it or not I think about this all the time. I Don't worry so much about the rears, I can handle a little squirming. But the fronts always have me a little worried. In order for me to go fast I have to have some pretty good confidence in the front, and that means turning it in quick on the brakes. Losing the front puts you on your ass quickly soooo.....how do you go fast on an old front? New fronts always make me feel so warm and fuzzy.....and confident!

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

middle of the pack racer.. selling take offs with "one race".. Should be a BIG red flag right there, that there's likely more than one race on em. (unless it's as some eluded to, 1 "endurance" race .. lol!)
    If priced to good to be true for them, it's likely to good to be true. Unless the guy has more money than he knows what to do with. I suppose these situations could exist.

TurboBlew and stangmx13 like this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree, but maybe it is one race weekend? One weekend could easily be 3-6 sprint races.

15. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I will only run my fronts new or old. I take rears all the time from people that think they are trash. I’m amazed at what people will put in the tire pile. I’ve pulled several tires that look like they did two laps on them. I normally run a new tire for sprints (1-3 races) and run a new front for the whole weekend.

If the tire looks good it probably is. The only time I’ve had an issue with tires while riding is tearing the rear. That was a few years ago.

Run new/good fronts and you will be fine IMO. New rear softs are the cats meow though.

SpeedyE likes this.
  16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

if the seller was honest, and it had a 1 race weekend, he would have told him "only 1 race weekend"... not "1 race" ;)

17. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Nobody seems to have mentioned this but it also matters what class the tire is being used in. "A" class machinery eats up the "good" out of a tire a lot faster than LWT in the same amount of time. But in the unlikely event that the dude is being completely honest and he's a mid-pack club racer who literally changes tires after every sprint race, and he's selling his takeoffs at somewhere around 50% what you'd pay for new rubber... sounds like a good deal to me.

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Here is the best take(s) off IMHO
    [​IMG]

Shocker, JBowen33, Steeltoe and 4 others like this.
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

So only use take offs from a trusted person that seems like they actually have an idea how many laps and heat cycles before they sell them to you. Otherwise NO!

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

but wait theres more... what if I let my thumbnail grow 2mm long so I can use it as a durometer when purchasing used tars? :D
    Besides... Stick or James Bock are nice enough people to socialize with! :D

GixxerBlade and badmoon692008 like this.