1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Zealand....WTF

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Motofun352, Mar 15, 2019.

1. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Need to do some looking but I bet the numbers don't back that statement up.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I agree...up to a point, and I have blamed media exposure in the past. Movies really don't desensitize the vast majority of the people. They recognize the difference between fantasy and reality. I disagree regarding the level of wanton destruction today vs past. CGI and such provides a far more "realistic" image than was possible even 15 years ago. Video games are (IMHO) a little more of an issue simply because of the interactive nature. Winning requires destruction of the foe. Still, the vast majority of people are not influenced.

I would also submit that social media and instatube stars does have some influence on the fringes. Peole are far more willing to engage in stupid behavior in the search of likes. People have always done so, but the instant feedback and the reach far beyond people in your immediate sphere of friends is definitely a factor. I have no idea how much.

cav115 likes this.
  3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Even more recent. One big difference is that in 1960 when some crazed asshole did this that we either never heard about it or it was a 30 second blurb on one night from Dan Blather. And even then it was just the event not all the parties trying to gain political advantage from it.

Sad that it happened but there is even in the world and always will be. RIP to those killed and condolences to their families.

4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I don’t teach math class. If you have SOME numbers, be my guest.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Actually it is Al Gores fault like the Unibomber was, frikkin greenies.

6. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

As long as the murders are spread out, it isn't an issue.

Like drinking, people don't bat an eye at a couple drinks here and there, but slam a 12 pack one day and everyone is concerned with this binge drinking problem.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Second post. Impressive. :bow: I usually expect this one in the bottom half of the first page. :crackup:

8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Looking up murder rate in NZ would support that..

Oh, wait....

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The gun laws in NZ aren't too strict.

Ironic how the supposed gunman was on an anti-immigration crusade, in a different country to his own...

10. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Excerpt from the guys manifesto or what ever. Scary that he had the sound mind to choose whatever form of attack he wanted but chose guns not because the ease of use or lethality , but became it would cause political tensions in a country halfway around the world.

"I could have chosen any weapons or means. A TATP filled rental van. Household flour, a method of dispersion and an ignition source.A ballpeen hammer and a wooden shield. Gas, fire, vehicular attacks, plane attacks, any means were available. I had the will and I had the resources.

I chose firearms for the affect (sic) it would have on social discourse, the extra media coverage they would provide and the affect it could have on the politics of United states (sic) and thereby the political situation of the world. The US is torn into many factions by its second amendment, along state, social, cultural and, most importantly, racial lines.

With enough pressure the left wing within the United states will seek to abolish the second amendment, and the right wing within the US will see this as an attack on their very freedom and liberty.

This attempted abolishment of rights by the left will result in a dramatic polarization of the people in the United States and eventually a fracturing of the US along cultural and racial lines."

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And Pac-Man caused the obesity epidemic...

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Come on man. The trolling isn't even intelligent anymore.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

We used to call a guy Pac-Man in high school. If you hesitated when he asked "are you gonna it that?" at the school cafeteria, your food was already on his tray before you caught up with the situation. And that mofo wasn't even big. No idea where the food went.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yeah. Somehow I've managed not to shoot at anyone or run anyone over IRL...

Attached Files:

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

He was collecting it for starving Africans. ;)

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Compared to where?

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No, we could all see the food disappear into his mouth. It's just that it wasn't used to grow his body.

19. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Maybe so, but I'll bet the house you've thought about it :D

20. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Compared to the countries that are ususally brought up regarding having strict gun controls, UK and many European countries, Japan etc.

From the BBC:
    "Gun laws
    The minimum legal age to own a gun in New Zealand is 16, or 18 for military-style semi-automatic weapons. Anyone over those ages who is considered by police to be "fit and proper" can possess a firearm.

All gun-owners must have a licence, but most individual weapons don't have to be registered. New Zealand is one of the few countries where this is the case.

In order to own a gun legally, applicants for a firearm licence must pass a background check of criminal and medical records. Factors like mental health, addiction and domestic violence should be considered.

Once a licence has been issued, gun-owners can buy as many weapons as they want.

While most guns don't have to be registered, a special application does have to be made to police to own military-style semi-automatic weapons, pistols, or other restricted firearms.

Because of this, police say they can't be sure how many legally owned firearms there are in the country as there is "no record of the majority of firearms".

As of June 2018, there were 246,952 active firearms licences including dealers and individual owners.

The year before, of the 43,509 who people applied for firearms licences, 43,321 were granted them."