1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto-E paddock on fire

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Mar 14, 2019.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I have heard complaints that it can interfere with venting the roof.

zrx12man likes this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Three independent heresay sources saying the same.
    My brother was a volunteer FF up until a few years ago (larger city FD). One of my good friends is still one in a small town. My former boss in germany has an old mill redone as living quarters and the while roof plastered w. PV . After checking with his local fire dept. for insurance purposes, they stated they’d rather burn it down.

You can disconnect all you want, the panels still produce DC, reportedly even from the flames at night. Once those are burnt up though, no problem with pointing the water up there...

Officially, they will say they will kill the fire asap.
    Anecdotally they won’t ;)

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

We really could use Michael Czysz at a time like this. I mean think about it, this was his baby after the petrol powered GP bike didn't pan out, just think where the E-bike would be by now if he kept developing it.....f'ing sucks the cancer came and snatched him.

[​IMG]

Steeltoe, CRA_Fizzer and BigBird like this.
  4. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Me too. It certainly makes sense that PV cells covering a roof will reduce the effectiveness of water sprayed up there.

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Spent several trackdays following him around on that bike. Really crazy to think how far ahead of the game he was at the time.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  6. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

The stock bikes have a 3kw on board charger and 11.7kwh batteries even if all 18 were charging at full blast (highly doubtful) that's 54Kw or 225amps on a standard 240 circuit. Not much power when talking commercial scale.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

yeah but the difference is that you're sitting on top of that power, not plugging into it.

8. Trunxgp1224

What? I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

i get it.....it's not per bike, it's in totality. it's 240 for 18 ...not 240 x 18

I was just saying that 240 amps under your butt, can definitely make one think about electric shock

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, could run off a couple RV outlets really.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We were talking about the potential cause of the fire not the other goofiness :D

BigBird likes this.
  12. Trunxgp1224

ahhh if you're talking about the battery potential, its 300V battery and a 107kW motor. Nominal rating on the bike is 400A.

For reference the P100D Tesla has combined motor power of 568kW and the 400v battery can discharge 451 kW or just over 1,100A. they have a pyro-charged 1500amp fuse on the main pack that's designed to physically sever the lines in an over current situation.

BigBird likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

15. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Pulling into my customer today and there are tow trucks, police and fire trucks. A Hyundai hybrid car started on fire just parked there and burnt the two next to it. All three will be total loss. The owner had been at work for 3 hours. Maybe she ran over something on the way to work it is raining here and LiPo don’t like water(lithium can start on fire if it gets wet).
    Just thought it was a a strange I had just got done reading about the Ebike fire 45 min before that.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

guess Enel (the quick charger company) will be bankrupt in 3, 2 .....

17. rwdfun

rwdfun

I'm still chuckling at the Rome comments. Smart humor is the best

hrc_nick_11 likes this.
  18. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

A lot of people don’t realized if lithium gets wet it becomes a ball of fire, it can even do it in a high humidity climate. The you tube guys Kings of Random take apart lithium batteries and drop them into a bucket of water and they become a ball of fire in seconds. Or if you poke them with a nail or something they become a ball of fire. Not sometimes, like 99% of the time. I really hope they did a good job of protecting the batteries on these bikes. Otherwise there will be some flaming balls of motorcycles in crashes. And not just a little flame either lithium burns hot and fast. Once the fire is out the other cells of the battery if they are compromised they can later start on fire if they get moist even from the air. The car Richard Hammond crashed kept catching on fire for three days!

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

wonder if corner stations had what ever it needed to contain a MotoE fire?

20. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect