1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Sighting scope or one of those electronic get up recommendations?

I don't foresee shooting beyond 200yds, whatcha got?

2. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

I grabbed the 10.5" 300 blk out pistol kit from PSA a while back. Haven't got a lower yet. Looked like a decent upper when it showed up. Figured I'd jump into 300 suppressed on a budget before going full retard. Any advise?

SpeedyE and XFBO like this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Just go ahead and mount it on one of your rifle lowers to try it out. Go to the range, take lots of pics, and post them all over social media. Hashtag atf!!!

SpeedyE, shakazulu12 and triplestrong like this.
  4. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Just picked up a rare Gen 4 19 summer special only made from May-July 17'. Factory front serrations, steel night sights, extended slide stop, and extended mag release on blue label.

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I would get some form of red dot. EoTech or Aimpoint or even a 1-6 with 300blk drop. Use sub sonic ammo, and sight it in for 100 yards. The suppressor should not make it drift too much

6. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Built the same 300. Works great with super and sub. I’m definitely going to suppress it. Already has red dot. Real fun gun.

XFBO likes this.
  7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

8. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I need to pick up a better scope also. I’ve asked a few friends for suggestions but they and I typically don’t shoot past 100 due to back yard space. Any idea if that will pickup a 22 hole at 300 yards.
    Thanks

XFBO likes this.
  9. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Got a Aimpoint Pro around somewhere I was going to use for optic. Good on the ammo. Over/under gassing, buffer/spring set-up was more what I was wondering about.

10. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

PSA barrels are known to not have much of a shoulder on their 300 blk, depending on what suppressor you are running, you may run into issues. Some companies, like Dead Air, make muzzle devices that index of the muzzle for barrels without a proper shoulder. But if you are running a direct thread can, you may want to swap barrels.

Also, PSA's 5.56 barrels do not have thread relief and have a radius in the shoulder, which can also cause misalignment with suppressors.

Other than that, I haven't had any issues yet with PSA stuff. Their CHF barrels are made by FN, which I have and like a lot. I'm more of a Aero/Ballistic Advantage guy though, their prices aren't much higher, if you are building, and the quality is much better IMO.

If you are trying to do 300 blk on a budget, you will need to start reloading. It will save you a lot if money and you will also be able to mess around with different powders, charges, bullet weights, etc. to get as quiet as possible.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

They are pretty good quality(they're no Swarovski), but I think so. I will ask a friend who has one what he thinks.

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Yes! I meant spotting scope....damn autocorrect! :D

The electronic get up I was referring to was something like this> Targetvision - https://www.longshotcameras.com/collections/spotting-scope/products/marksman

Their 300yd set up is $350....a lot of the spotting scopes worth buying seemed to be priced similarly. I was just wondering what the long distance shooters were using here.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If you want something really cool(and have a place to use it), this is the way to go. We have 4 of them on the way for our club.

https://www.autotrickler.com/shotmarker.html

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Unless you already have the suppressor, you won't really be able to figure it out until it's on.
    My opinion is you could adjust buffer springs easier than gassing.

triplestrong likes this.
  15. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Usually 300blk barrels are ported correctly, and you can just use an H2 buffer, and that will work great for subs/supers/suppressed. But being PSA, there is a chance that it could be oversized. You could pickup a configurable buffer kit and play with weights to tune it just right if needed.

My suppressed 8" 300 blk has an adjustable gas block, but it really doesn't need it, I just use it to turn the gas completely off. It also has a Armaspec SMB captured buffer/spring, I highly recommend, but you will need to figure out which weight works best in your gun.

triplestrong likes this.
  16. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Have you tested those? There's sort of similar acoustic systems at the indoor range where I'm at, and they suck. Record about 90% of your shots, when they're not outright broken. Can't pick up small bullets like 17's. I hope those work better.

Most everyone I know that shoots there wishes they just put up more of the retrievable paper hangers.

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Wow, that seems pretty neat too, if I belonged to a private club OR better yet had my own shooting range it's definitely something worth considering.

I figured someone in here had to have some experience with the targetvision or similar unit!?!?
    I'm now finding other makes/models for about the same cost ($350). Bullseye Range Camera seems to have a more intuitive app software package, that always flashes the last recorded shot which I can see being a cool feature, along with numerically marking them w/ different color markers if two of you are shooting the same target......neat!

Going back to optical type, same questions as Ron above, the spotting scope you linked above, do you know if it'll def show .22 holes easily at 100yds, .223 at 300 yds?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

We will be using them every Tuesday night at our long range practice(600-1000 yards). There are a couple local places that use them and love them. I'm guessing the indoor part may be the issue. I will report back in a couple months, once I get to use them for a while.

19. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

They're probably better / newer tech, I'd like to hear how it turns out.

20. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

I didn’t want to start a new thread and figured this was the best place to put it.

I am learning about ar 9 and ar 15s. A buddy told me to check out palmetto state armory. Is it better to buy a built gun to start or assemble different uppers and lowers. There is so many different manufacturers it’s hard to know what is quality and what’s not. Uses will be plinking and varmit.

Also researching ammo. Is it better for higher grain for accuracy? It seems to be all over the board. Any info is appreciated