1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by KMC, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Anybody reading between the lines here?

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Just walk over to the P garage and ask Oscar the NA racing mgr. And no need to call overseas as WSBK tech Stefano is at Daytona for the weekend.

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

If it's raining, the 2oo will be postponed. That is my opinion. They'll run the CCS sprints and wait for dry weather.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:whoosh:

Explain

5. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Where's the live timing going to be?
    Does CCS do live timing and are they doing the Daytona 200 timing?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pirelli isn't the only brand at the track and duh :crackup:

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Of course, but see how easy my former employer makes it for racers so they don't have to call Europe? :D
    Typically you will only find 2 tire manufacturer's techs/managers (not vendors) at Daytona. One is the long P and the other does Moto America, unless it's changed since 2016 but I'd be surprised if it has.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, I can usually find Oscar and Tony easily if need be.

9. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Sounds to me he thinks the dunlops are inferior.

It seems he also thinks a intermediate tire is the answer. Intermediate tires equal intermediate performances.

10. speedluvn

Thanks. He's a P-dude. I would expect that from him.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For a long time though he's correct, Dunlop didn't have tires that would work there and both Pirelli and Michelin did. His opinion is based on actual experience not blind loyalty to a company.

12. speedluvn

But does Dunlop have a tire that make the run around Daytona now?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A rain or DOT? I don't know. They do have a slick but it's just for Daytona where the others had no issues for a number of years with their standard tires.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Gentlemen, only Pirelli and the other brand offer Daytona spec DRY tires for 600cc and up motorcycles. You can confirm this by looking at the Pirelli tech data that has been posted all over the BBS.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dude, you no longer work there, which other brand? Dunlop or Michelin or Bridgestone? :crackup:

drop likes this.
  16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ah no to the first sentence. And I never mentioned an intermediate tire so you're off base there too.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

In 1995 or 1996 there was a rain/tire controversy in the SS600 class. Basically Dunlop didn’t have a very good wet weather tire option while the other manufacturers did. So you had all the Dunlop factory teams getting spanked then complaining to AMA etc. They ended up postponing the race to next week if IRRC. It could have been run but the factory teams basically pulled their weight which I can understand. But it kind of devalued the entire racing concept IMO.

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

It's all brand x, y, or z still in my mind sorry

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Wow I could post 500 plus words to explain that weekend that took a week to complete one 600 race.

G 97 likes this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So Sean (or somone) should ask now, does anyone make a Daytona spec rain?