1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

That red hoop you see is essentially just like a stiffer carcass bicycle tire.....so I'd bet they could squeeze/bend it into a smaller box.....I'd call or email one of the shops and ask.

2. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Negative, it's not recommended. If they're creased they wont seal like they're supposed to. Least I wouldn't recommend it, at all...

3. +1000 for tubliss. I run my tires down to 8psi some days. Had a leaking valve in the rear and didn’t even notice it (must have happened after I was pretty tired and riding lazy) until I was loading up. I wouldn’t run a dirty bike without one.

4. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

I currently run 9/6 psi with HD tubes. Ride the rocks weekly for 3 years (like 2 days ago and tomorrow). Had one flat. Just rode it out. Pic from 2 days ago.
    07B3A22F-DD63-4B3B-B951-E6F01081E15E.jpeg

5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

think of it as a street bicycle tire with inner tube. You place this inside your MX tire. When you inflate the inner inner tube to 100psi, it presses out on the "bicycle tire" and that is what seals up the bead of your MX tire against the rim. You also install some heavy duty rim tape that seals the nipples from the inside.

Best bet is to use a new tire for sure and ideally use it on a newer rim as well. If the rim has a lot of "gunk" on it, clean it really well (wire brush maybe?) to make sure that the seal between the bead and the rim is good.

I've run mousse, Tubliss and heavy duty tubes. They all have their own place where they work well, and places they don't work as well. On my Tubliss setup, I had to pump up the inner tube before every ride to keep it around 100psi, and it does make changing tires a bit of a challenge until you get the hang of it. also only works on specific rim widths.

6. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

I picked up a YZ250 for mostly trail riding. Buddy had it and I got it for a steal. I'm a decent trail rider, but this bike doesn't like low end running. Anyone have a recommendation for a Rekluse, gearing, or carb jetting?

7. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Pipe and then flywheel weight are the usual order. I've ridden a yz250 with a rekluse and it was suhweet for tight woods. This bike had fmf pipe and a rekluse. I think it would have been even better with a flywheel weight.

obcbr likes this.
  8. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

Thanks. It has a pipe. I can look into the flywheel weight.

9. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

I have 2 YZ250’s. Tight steep rocky rooty woods technical shit..

drop a tooth up front. First gear is mx tall. Yeah you’ll lose some legs at the other end tho.

I’m running a 9oz and 11oz flywheel on them. They help immensely in the ‘idle to threshold’ zone. About the same everywhere else. Both mine lug up pretty much anything.

Some run a lower rpm hitting pipe like the gnarly or PC2. I have both PC pipes for it, but I run the stock pipe on both. Great all around pipe imo.

terminus est and obcbr like this.
  10. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

Thank you. I ordered a 13T front sprocket and 50T rear. Going to olay play with both.

Used2Bfast 2 likes this.
  11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Anybody get a dirt bike with these ODI grips yet? I just about blew a fucking gasket tonight trying to change my grips! Apparently you gotta buy a throttle tube if you want to switch to normal grips. :mad:

12. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

I bought a tube, which I then had to cut the end off of in order to install wrap around grips. :S

But you can razorblade off 99% of the original grip from the original tube and put a new grip on. My S1000RR had the same vulcanized rubber grip over the tube that I carrot peeled off and put new Renthals over.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Why'd you buy grips for something you don't ride???

14. cpettit

I bought aftermarket errythang for it! ..... and I rode it at least 5 times last year ya bastid.

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I use them on my Stand Up Jet Ski's... Cut old off.. Install new with Air. Wire and done.

cpettit likes this.
  16. mcarter

mcarter Well-Known Member

I put an 11oz flywheel on my stock YZ250 and it made a huge difference

Used2Bfast 2 likes this.
  17. cpettit

I started cutting it off but stopped and wondered if I was crazy or my grips were really part of the throttle tube. It’s like they melt them on there or something!

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

That's the gorilla glue....

19. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

My brother and I are competing in the Mexican 1000 (separate bikes). The prep has been more than I thought it would be, and I thought it would be considerable. At least that phase is over. I leave in the morning.

I completely rebuilt/updated my 650R, with Precision Concepts performing the motor and suspension service. BTW, they were awesome to work with and did everything on time and promptly. Suspension was a week, motor was 3. I've not done any rally raid events before, so we'll see how it goes. Desert Racing seems like the offspring of road racing and enduro. Should be a piece of cake. 1300 miles in 5 days?

The bike's name is Mex-Caliber

Some of the stuff:

Flex bars
    damper
    BRP clamp
    lines, pads, rotors, wheels
    Highway dirtbikes rally tower (tab welded to frame)
    Roadbook system/gps odo,speedo, compass
    Stella 3 race satellite transponder
    Baja Designs lights
    4.6 gallon tank
    seat concepts seat
    stage 1 cam
    mikuni tm40
    reverse megaphone exhaust
    pdm60 power distribution module

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

j cal, masshole, cBJr and 9 others like this.
  20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Good luck man! We expect a full report.