1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DWI for Drugs

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So what if the cop is right but it was pot?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Blood test would show usage, but not level of impairment. IIRC, the folks in the article tested negative, period. If I had to spend thousands and potentially lose my job over an accusation based on simple observation after requesting a blood test, I would be severely pissed.

sheepofblue likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tested negative for what tho? Tons of crap out there that can impair you.

Not to mention there are plenty of people who shouldn't be driving at all and get impaired by the radio or cell phone or their passengers or the wind whistling through their heads.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

At least one of the people in the article were accused of using weed. Yes I know there are tons of substances and folks that shouldn't be driving under any circumstances, but the state gave them a license. I would gladly take a test for any substance.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh I get what they were accused of - the issue though is did the cop really take an impaired driver off the road or not, the cop guessing wrong at the substance is secondary and really winds up helping the person out when they hit a court room.

Agreed on the testing, but they can't afford to test for everything possible.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The problem for me is the cost of defending against false accusations and potential loss of income. Yes I know it happens all the time, but my confidence in our adversarial system of justice is not exactly at an all time high (no pun intended) right now.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh that I totally get and agree with, it sucks major ass and as Britt said the entire thing truly is a money making racket and nothing truly to do with safety.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The worst part is a total loss of assumption of innocence. A test created by someone that is unknown to the accused and likely unavailable to provide stats on test accuracy (both false positives and false negatives) is just taken as proof. Add in that said test was administered by someone trained by the aforementioned. Again what effort was made to calibrate the officer? I can tell you, none.

This would be like me making a breathalyzer in my garage then showing officers how to use it and poof you are guilty.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The officers do have to go through training and certification I believe. I know the local ones do training for sure. Yes it does still come down to their opinion. Just like if you weave and they smell beer you go to jail. Doesn't matter if the beer was last consumed long enough ago to be out of your system and the weaving was due to the road surface or the like.

I'm not saying it's good or even really right.

FWIW - field breathalyzers aren't admissible in court in GA.

10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

But one huge difference, once they haul you in (or during) you can demand a blood test. Something science based versus this abomination where the officers opinion is the final word.

11. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Some of that training is bs though. When I was younger I got a speeding ticket on my motorcycle and fought it because I wasn’t speeding. Prosecutor rolls out this special training the cop had where they had to judge by eye how fast a car was going and had to be within 3 mph 7 out of 10 times to get certified in an attempt to get me to accept no points but pay the fines. I refused and got the cop to admit on the stand that it was 10 unmarked cop cars and not a single motorcycle in this test...judge tossed the ticket immediately! I laughed my ass off and told the prosecutor maybe next time he’d prosecute someone who was a little more stupid than me and wouldn’t question his bs.

12. fastedyamaha

Yes but that still costs innocent people time and money to get exonerated from a bs charge. Plus you’re still in jail until you can get bailed out or see a judge to be released on your own recognizance. All for something you didn’t do.

sheepofblue likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That’s the game. Most people don’t have the time or money so they cop to the charge. You can spend $300 to pay the ticket or $3000 to hire a lawyer and fight. Usually when you fight you wind up paying a higher fine for a lesser charge.

14. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

This cop should be forced to pay back every lawyer fine, towed car, missing work/getting fired penny for every citizen he harassed and arrested, also do ever hour of community service for every hour that he wasted of peoples time so he can get get his little prick hard his gold star for being super cop arresting normal people living their normal life. Saving the world and getting awards for making up bullshit charges and there is actually people that defend this???? I invested in taser/ axon bodycam stock years ago based on living out of the US, and coming everytime I'm back, more of a police state, with more police/ money/ court, bs power. The stock is up 300%, it sucks, this country the police base their job on how many people you, stop, pull, over, and mostly arrest. Look at cops and live pd.

I remembered years ago they tried to film Caribbean cops, epic fail and went off the air, the cops were walking on the beach hitting on girls, I was watching one show I think filmed in the grenadines, the cop was on the force for 7 years, never arrested one person. There was a couple a bad murder scenes, Trinidad, its rough but its not normal to devote yourself to pulling people over for a turn signal and justify thats how I find criminals. Find criminals committing crimes, but then the money leaves so the system can't keep moving when the wheels stop turning. God luck, back to Panama in 3 days, cheers

15. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

I have been selected as a juror in a criminal case and this resonates with me tonight.

More later, maybe :p

16. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

lol I have a friend in STX - drives a Ford pickup that is TOTALLY missing a tail light assembly ... meh ... no big deal. Love that island

17. Captain Morgan

Different world, i could go on, instead just left,
    something I can't change

18. Captain Morgan

Once again, wish you the best, I just prefer the more simple life, to each their own. It actually does work that way, you don't bother people, you live a life the same way, fuck with people, drugs, money, girls, guns and anchors get involved, just a quicker way of the US judicial system

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

As with everything in the U.S....it's about the money. It certainly isn't about public safety.

20. fastedyamaha

So arresting people on made up charges is about public safety? How's that worked out in different countries?