1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guns n shit

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Buckwild, Mar 6, 2019.

1. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

What does California require the private seller and/or buyer to do, does he keep the NCIS paper work indefinitely?

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

6E92FF63-FC8E-4B34-80F5-99A4B339FFAC.jpeg

Steeltoe likes this.
  3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Purchase goes through an FFL, background check, 10 day waiting period, ffl has paperwork, don't know how long they're keeping it.

4. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

yes they sure do. So I'm lost on how people are upset about a national registry because they serial number is on the back ground check form. They atleast have the original purchase on file

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

OK, that's kinda what I thought.

How STUPID can one be to try to register something he should have known is illegal in your home State? He gets no sympathy from me, he and the guy on the video are simply looking to stir the pot.

My 2A right allows me to own a fully armed TANK/F16/etc, why can't I? :rolleyes:

I don't agree with Liberal States legislating these BS gun laws, BUT have we reached the point of ignoring them altogether? I don't think so.

If it ever got to the point of them legislating a nationwide ban, IMHO, that's when the shit will hit the fan and you'll see who's on who's side. Until then, I say move the fvck out of those shit holes, just like I did. It's simply not worth making a statement there.

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Feds are prohibited (it is again da law) for them to keep info that ties an owner to a gun. Cali does on its own(registration). The dealer is required to keep the 4437 and be available to inspection at any time. If the FFL goes out of business, the ATF picks up the record and stores them.

Dude. Not the same thing.

7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Uh no, the feds do not keep the NCIS paperwork. It is the problem of the dealer that runs the check as they have to keep it forever. This is the issue, your proof is being kept by someone that has no reason to keep it.

8. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Dealer is required to keep all forms for 7 years, after closing biz doors, or turn them over to atf.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

And after 7 years, they can be shredded. The serial number isn't part of the actual background check either, nor is the make or model of the firearm. It is only on the form.

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Are bound books kept or destroyed?

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

There are FFLs on the board, they would know for sure.

12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Wikipedia says all the data for the 4473 is recorded and the bound books have to be kept for 20 years. This includes serial no. The Universal Background Check org said forever.

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Tracking the firearm by Ser# is going to lead to only the Seller and the Original purchaser...if at all...I have some copies of things where the writing on the copies has disappeared from age.

Say the gun store closes the doors, books go into a box, shipped to the ATF and are stored in a huge warehouse..one of 100's of old buildings..in boxes, an article I read years ago indicated some of these boxes were damaged by a burst waterpipe that ran for days if not weeks, and others were damaged by rodents eating the records..all of these records are not in some database that can be accessed with a few clicks of the keyboard. (The ATF/LEO would love it if that were the case).

14. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

ATF is constantly rebuffed by Congress in efforts to secure new funding to modernize its storage and computerization of these records. For the sake of freedom, I hope they continue to be.

Steeltoe, Britt and pickled egg like this.
  15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I agree, there is little real use of the #'s....400million+ numbers..wtf? If you get right down to the actual purpose of recording and record keeping..it is a waste of Time & Money, unless your end game it to locate and retrieve. (confiscate)

16. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

When folks say that background checks are a postive thing and don’t infringe on 2A rights, and that I am overly paranoid for being against them, I direct them to take a hard look at my state of Maryland. We have a separate state level background check for handgun purchases. When advocates/politicians were pushing to pass the law a couple of decades ago, they used the same arguments that are used today for a federal check.

There have probably been many cases where the system prevented folks with bad intentions from buying a gun, but as we’ve seen in many mass shootings, a determined criminal/mass shooter will find a workaround to obtain a gun.

The true intention of the background check system was to exert governmental control over its gun owning citzens. Maryland now has records of every handgun I have bought—a defacto gun registry. Our liberal, 2A hating state government has weaponized this registry against its gun owners, in the form of harrassment, swat teams showing up in the middle of the night to confiscate guns for dubious reasons, and most recently the use of gun confiscation for red flag complaints against gun owners. In MD there is no due process provisions, and it is being abused by spouses, live in partners, roommates, etc. There was also a database breach a few years back where this registry was unsecure for several days and personal info on gun owners was open to view.

All of this is possible because of the camel nose of state government has been allowed into the tent. I implore gun owners not to
    fall for all the “common sense”, “it’s for the children”, “how can you be against it” rhetoric of background checks. All of that sounds good, but in reality it’s a devious scheme employed by governments to control and intimidate those citizens exercising their 2A rights.

jrsamples likes this.
  17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

At least they haven't released that info to the local papers, IIRC, in USNY, they did exactly that using a FOIA request, then printed it.

I had always hoped that if any one of those people became a victim of a burglary, or worse, that they'd get their asses sued into bankruptcy.

So now I'm curious, anyone know what Tn does, if they (sellers or the State I guess when they do the b/g) save buyers information with firearm sales?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think they're talking the politicians more than the populace.

We agree on some people shouldn't be armed but I do disagree on the types of weapons :D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tac nukes I'll agree, the others, meh.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So how do you feel about big bore field artillery? :D