1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas on best way to charge power tool batterys from truck?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Mar 2, 2019.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Back to this project.

What size inverter will i need to get to be able to charger a couple batteries at once and run our scan tool off of it also?

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Get your glasses out and check on your chargers what their power consumption is. Add them up and overshoot by 25%-33% the capacity for the hell of it.

3. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I used a 3000/6000 inverter in my work trucksfor batteries, compressors, welders etc.

The drain cut off is not reliable (ask me how I know :) )

beac83 likes this.
  4. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

the cut offs are usually so low that the battery is toast by the time you get there

5. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

YEP.

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

you guys that had issues with the LVD not working...was that built into the inverter or an add on? Was it adjustable as to the disconnect voltage?

I've had no issues in the past with add on LVDs if you keep them in the higher 11v range. Some of the ones that dont cut off current until 10.5v...well that's pretty low

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've got a 3000w inverter I run at camp, I think it shuts down at 11.8v.

8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Can you start a cold(ish) diesel truck at 11.8?.....

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Not a chance

10. assjuice cyrus

If you pull start it.:crackup:

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Thats why you add a house batt to run the inverter crap...

TurboBlew and Banditracer like this.
  12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Wouldnt it just be easier to have a small Generator in the truck to charge and run off of?
    Especially if you go to adding batteries or even worse if you don’t and end up stranded cause you pulled the other batteries down.

Kev59 likes this.
  13. That was my thought as well, get a 1000W generator and call it a day vs adding 2 battery or two, all the other crap that goes along with that, etc. Get a generator and bolt it down to the bed or some kind of device to secure it and call it a day, plus if you get the right size genny you can hook up an espresso machine.

14. assjuice cyrus

We do have welder/generator in the trucks,no one wants to listen to a loud ass generator run all day to charge batteries and run a scan tool. These guys start there trucks in the morning and leave and sometimes arent back here at the shop till there 8 hours is over. They dont shut the trucks off. So we just need to have a good 110v source to be able to charge power tool batteries and power our scan tool if it gets low during the day.

15. assjuice cyrus

Here is a photo of one of the trucks and how there setup.

Attached Files:

16. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

the problem with the built in shutdowns is there is appreciable voltage drop in the fuse and cabling. If you set it high enough to protect the battery at light load then you cant run heavy load. or if you set it low enough to protect the battery at heavy load, then you kill the battery if you run down to shutoff at light load.

17. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

If the truck is always running you wont need a extra battery then, just a fairly large inverter.
    I would think a 2000 watt would be plenty for charging cordless batteries and a scanner.

A 4,000 watt generator mounted underneath would be quite and save a bunch of fuel over leaving the truck running all day though....
    There is a 4,000 watt Generac on our box van I plumbed into the main tank and It will run for 4 days on a tank of fuel while pulling a roof air, TV, tire warmers and anything else we needed...
    Well almost.

18. assjuice cyrus

The trucks never shut off mainly for two reason. Heat in the winter to get warm a/c in summer and we are almost constantly moving. Second battery idea was because we have batteries we get at no cost so why not use only just to power the inverter and not have to worry about the main house battery going dead over the weekend when the trucks aren't being used.