1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supplements for Back/Joint Health

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Mar 9, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Back in December I did a boneheaded move and tried to rush a deadlift workout. I though I’d done some soft tissue damage, which I’ve dealt with before, but my chiro thinks I might have a slightly herniated disc. It’s been three months and it’s still not healed. It keeps yo-yoing back and forth. It’ll feel better for a few days, then BAM, I’ll sleep wrong or move wrong and I can barely stand. I’m tired of this bullshit, I can’t lift much, I can’t do Jiu-Jitsu, I can’t run, I can’t even sneeze!

I’m doing all the prescribed rehab exercises and stretches, but they don’t work if it’s not healing. What kinds of things can be supplemented to aid in recovery? Getting old sucks!

2. Dom17

Dom17 Well-Known Member

What is the pain like? If you truly herniated a disc, supplements are not going to help correct anatomical damage. If it is trigger point or mild disc degeneration then maybe there is hope.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Get a hysterectomy and get back in the gym, ya girl! :Poke:

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It’s hard to say. I’ve not had an MRI. It just feels really weak, and gets stiff every time I sleep or sit too long.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Toxic shock syndrome. You're fucked. :Poke:

Ok, but seriously. If it were me, I'd double and triple check the diet to minimize inflammatories. Has your crack backer given you an x-ray to see what's up in the spinal region that's bothering you?

Newsshooter and Dom17 like this.
  6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Stretch your hamstrings. Like deep, 10 minute stretches. Make sure your pelvis is in line. There are self adjustment videos on Youtube. They work.

See a chiropractor aggressively. One day a week for like 6 weeks.

There are pretty non-invasive surgeries today.

Depends on how much pain you can deal with.

7. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Placebo maybe, but I feel I've had success tempering general joint pain with MicroLactin used as an anti-inflammatory.

8. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

HGH:D

sharkattack and Ducti89 like this.
  9. Dom17

Dom17 Well-Known Member

A couple people have mentioned the benefits of anti-inflammatory supplementation. This might be going off into the weeds a bit but I used to be a competitive powerlifter and chronic back pain really decrease my quality of life. Through cleaning up my diet, avoiding pro-inflammatory foods such as seed oils and other processed bullshit and supplementing with antioxidants anti-inflammatory things such as turmeric I can happily say that my back pain is a 0 out of 10. However most of my pain was related to exercised induced trigger points. Also known as knots. The pain was so bad that I could not tolerate eating at times. There are studies that show that tumeric supplementation decrease has exercised induced muscle inflammatory response. Black pepper inceases tumeric uptale by 2000 percent. You can also supplement glucosamine and chondroitin to help support your cartilage. But if you have a disc bulge pressing on a nerve these will fall short of helping you most likely.

As an aside, if I eat shit, the pain comes back within 12 hours and I am on the heating pad using Aleve and Tylenol. If I avoid processed shit I am completely pain free. It sucks because when you are in pain easy comfort food is what you gab.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  10. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Ducti89 likes this.
  11. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Truth.

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

@ryoung57 have you talked to a real doctor or had xrays reviewed by a real radiologist? After a bunch of chiropractors and a bunch of air let out of my joints, I surmised that chiropractic is barely north of reiki.

The difference in my diagnosis from doctor to chiro was dramatic. Chiro said I was out of alignment and needed twice per week adjustments indefinitely. After a month with the chiro I had no improvement. Doctor revealed a tear in my L3/L4 and recommended rest and hot/cold therapy. I did bodyweight movements, massage, and yoga for about a month before I picked up weights. 2.5 years post injury I’m back to 100%.

On a different note, Do you get that butt-out wrestler posture after you sit for a while?

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No on the doc, but I’m about to break down and go. Yes in the posture after sitting. Sometimes I can barely stand.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM and collagen protein (my nutritionist buddy recommends about 15% of your daily protein intake from collagen), for regular daily good maintenance.

Beyond that for repair I have heard that PRP injections can work miracles. Kevin Levrone used them on his knees during his prep for his Olympia comeback so he could start squatting again.

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

16. sdg

sdg *

Deer antler velvet

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What about rhino horn and tiger penis?

BigBird and JBraun like this.
  18. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

You need the “ring dinger” from advanced chiropractic. Look it up on you tube.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

:eek:

that’s like a half step below tossing a noose around your neck and kicking the chair out from under you.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

^^^ that's not gonna be very good for your beeb health...