1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Nov 25, 2016.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its not the clearance but the braking. Ride em back to back to back

2. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

I have. And the 29er downhill kills it. I was on the 29er hate train until I rode this Yeti. Makes my old bike feel like a tricycle.

3. TurboBlew

not a hate train at all... my experience was different. ;) Also the bikes I rode had ~30mm rims. A 29er with 35mm wheels and a 2.6 tire would be interesting a and 200mm rotors front & rear:beer:

4. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

A lot of the top guys switched to 29" this year, including the current world cup champion

TurboBlew and Odilup like this.
  5. TurboBlew

did some quick reading and yeap. Those are like the moto gp of bicycle racing. :flag:

tecknojoe likes this.
  6. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Could be they figured out the geometry problem with the 29r's. 29rs definitely roll over stuff better but the wheelbase is longer.

7. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

Geometry has been improved a ton, especially on trail/all mountain bikes. With the push to Boost/Super Boost rear end spacing and everything being 1x chainrings the geometry just works way better now than first generation 29ers. Chain stays got shortened, but there is a push for even longer bikes for stability

I ride a 160/150mm travel bike, with 1Kg tires that weighs 29lbs that can pedal for a huge day in Pisgah, ride park at Windrock/Mammoth, and has been a blast in the backwoods gnar in BC and Sierra Nevada. The new all mountain bikes are freakin magic.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The only time I didn't 100% prefer the 29" was in tight switchbacks. The smaller wheels flicked around easier. But even still, I'd take the 29" 98% of the time.

And all 29ers are not the same obviously. Geometry makes a big difference (which I was stubborn to realize at first). I went from a Focus Raven that handled like a Harley, to a Trek ProCal that handles like a proper race bike.

bacolmm likes this.
  9. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Pierron won it on 29er last year.

bacolmm likes this.
  10. RndHoleSqPeg

Who else swaps their brakes on their mountain bikes so that the front is on the right?

Wingnut and bacolmm like this.
  11. TurboBlew

I tried it for a few months...wasnt a fan. Anyway I prefer to use the front as the dominate binder and kind of built the dexterity of my left hand up to accomodate.
    Just spent 1/2 the day setting up my Decree.

12. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

It's just about the first thing I do to any new MT bike but have never done it to a road bike yet.

13. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

What size tires are you running on the Decree? I'm getting ready to throw some new tires on mine and am debating on either 2.3 or 2.4's

14. TurboBlew

came with maxxis minions dhf 2.5s so I just set up tubeless. Rode around my hood with 60 psi and climbed a few stair cases and log obstacles... wow. Thing does dope wheelies even though my execution is typically garbage...hehe

15. RndHoleSqPeg

60 psi tubeless? I don’t know anyone that rides over 28 with 22r,24f being the norm around here without cushcore inserts

16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

If anyone sees a great deal on a 29 full suspension tag me please.

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

There are some really great deals on FB Marketplace, in the STL area. A couple 2018 Giant Anthem Advanced at $2K and $3K. A Stumpy Evo at $2K. The list goes on and on.

18. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I guess I should put in one more "need"...

XL frame.
    I deals all over for Medium and large frames

ducnut likes this.
  19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What type of riding? There are long, mid, short travel bikes. Very focused XC, trail, enduro, downhill bikes. Bikes that are all mountain friendly, that are XC/trail friendly, etc.

20. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Reach, stack etc. vary significantly among manufacturers. Stating you're searching for an xl isn't really nailing down the size you actually need.