1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity how many times have you seen a tire Fail due to flipping.....

I have never.....

Wheel Bearing and drop like this.
  2. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Understood. This was my thought. If it has a one directional arrow thats the way the tire goes on and comes off. Bottom line! Thanks for explaining this in detail!

3. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Do you sell or give away your tally take off. . Lol

4. wheelz96

If you run Tally in reverse maybe...

5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

You obviously didn't get my joke. If you don't flip your tire at tally during a track day, no matter the brand, you must have a huge tire budget. I don't know if anyone on this forum has seen ANY accident on track that was a result of flipping any brand tire. At the end of the first day there will you just opt to put on a new set? Because the left side will and should be toast.

wheelz96 and TLR67 like this.
  6. wheelz96

I did actually. The left side of the tire will be shot. Therefore selling the tires to someone would be great if you ran Tally backwards...

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Not to be a smart ass or nothing but GLWTS.... If you would have flipped them after Lunch and evened them out you would probably get another day or weekend or two for that matter pending on what kind of bike you ride elsewhere... Don't get me wrong I am not a anti new tire purchaser.. I just need to save some coin here and there and flipping tires especially at Talladega over the years has saved me a few Thousand for sure.

Edit... If your going this weekend Flip that Bastard at Lunch!! LOL

ToofPic, drop and wheelz96 like this.
  8. wheelz96

Lol I was kidding about going around Tally backwards.. I am not selling my take offs nor am I suggesting anything. I was having fun with this thread...

However, I will be taking the advice above and I now have Dunlops for Tally which are bi directional and therefore I will be flipping! The Pirelli's are being saved for race day. I am also saving every penny possible! Flipping tires is certainly a great way to save $400 a weekend! Tally certainly sounds awful from what I hear as far as tire wear is concerned.. Notes taken!

9. wheelz96

I have a dumb question. Forgive me for not researching this but, can you simply flip a front rim instead of flipping tire on rim? Are they symmetrical? Would it effect wear on rotors?

10. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

No and don’t flip fronts.

11. JBowen33

Hopefully your getting your suspension geometry set each time you switch from brand to brand. You’ll have wear/ grip etc issues if you don’t.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Going from dunlops to pirelli is not a small thing normally, especially at a race weekend

badmoon692008 and JBowen33 like this.
  13. drop

drop Well-Known Member

And with stt, they do sometimes do tally reverse.

Also, still flip the pirelli.

noles19 likes this.
  14. wheelz96

Thanks for everyone's input as I still have much to learn in this sport. I ended up running Dunlop medium slicks at Tally this weekend and only made 3 sessions due to weather. However, I need to flip rear as stated above. This was the first time on the bike since Thermosman made adjustments to the bike so I had alot of changes all at once and hard to tell what did what. The Dunlops did feel sticky but seemed to lack feedback. This could also be my inexperience but I feel like the Pirelli's give me a better understanding of what they are doing underneath me. Tire wear looked good tho!

pothiawala786 likes this.
  15. JBowen33

Dunlop’s have a stiffer carcass then the Pirellis hence the lack of feed back. Some guys like that some don’t.

wheelz96 likes this.
  16. zebt66

zebt66 Member

Thank you for posting the PDF file with the specs. The warm psi with warmers before track on that sheet, both those numbers are the range to stay within warm right? can go -3 psi lower for cold from the lowest number?

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Not sure what your asking as the tech data suggests cold psi starting point. But DO this. Air the tires up, put them on warmers for 45 min or an hour, right before you go out on the track set the hot psi as listed on the spec sheet. Go ride, and when you come in immediately check the hot psi. You're looking for about a 2 psi rise. any more or less adjust the psi to make sure you're within the hot psi range. And BTW use a good gauge and make sure you check your warmers to see if they are working correctly.

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

19. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

Question, so if I set the rear to 26psi of the warmer and when I come off the track is at 28psi, do I leave it at 28 or bring it down to 26? I get that the chart specifies "off the warmers, before track" but shouldn't there be a chart for "hot, off the track"? Or, would I just count the off the track 2 psi increase as the "off the track desired pressure"?
    Also, is there a chart for temperature ranges for each compound?

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Off the warmers provides repeatable results. By nature of inconsistent practice, your off the track numbers will be unreliable.

Keep in mind the number that's most important is temperate, not PSI. PSI is the means we use to control temperature, so it has value, but only as it relates to temperature.

It is tough for tire techs to paint in broad strokes, or even fine ones, because most guys aren't even using an accurate gauge to take PSI readings.

JBowen33 likes this.