1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a Racing Motorcycle On a High School Budget

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Vincent Huang, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Vincent Huang

Vincent Huang New Member

Hello, all! My name is Vincent Huang, and I am a high school student on Long Island. I love dirt bike racing, and I've raced my KTM 450 EXC-F for years. Recently, the road racing bug has caught me, and I'd like to build a road racing bike. I'm in ninth grade, and I have a pretty low budget. I'd like to spend less than 1K on the donor bike, and I can slowly buy the rest of the parts to make it a proper racebike. Thanks everyone!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ninja 250.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

if you goal is to go racing, don't build. just buy one already built. ull get A LOT more for your $$ that way.

aboogie973, emry, _indy and 2 others like this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, I'll bet you could find one for $1K already built. You might have to put a couple of bucks in it but the biggest pain in the ass thing should already be done...safety wiring!

Only problem is the best time to buy is end of season.

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I keep making the same mistake of building from scratch over and over again despite knowing better.

Don't be like me, go find a built bike. :D

sbk1198, SpeedyE and badmoon692008 like this.
  6. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Unless the built bike is a polished turd.

SpeedyE and track wagon like this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

build a racing business plan and don't build the bike.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I don't think my GS500E is still running around?

JCW likes this.
  9. jschuster2

jschuster2 Well-Known Member

8802.jpeg
    We rode this bike in a couple endurance races last year. Maybe a little over your budget, but its good to go.

10. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

11. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Race minis for now, also being on long island how do you plan to get to the races? I live here as well and there is nothing on the island for road racing,

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Get a set of SM wheels for the KTM that you already have?

Phl218 likes this.
  13. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

^^^ This

14. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

You aren't going racing cheaper than with a 250 Ninja. I went an entire season of six three hour endurance races on one set of Alpha 13 tires. That season did include about 2 hours with rain tires, but still it made things really affordable.

15. BobSaget

BobSaget Active Member

An sv650 just popped up for sale 2 mins ago. He is asking $1,900. See if you can work something out with him bro.

Attached Files:

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

C'mon Vincent, how you gonna ask a question 7 days ago then not return?

17. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

He's in 9th grade. It's been a week. He probably just discovered chicks, and will be back in a couple years once the honeymoon wears off :)
    Or he's deep into a fortnight bender.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I still have to remind the boss the grandson is a 20 something male with a full time job, he'll answer texts when he has time or remembers :D

19. Vincent Huang

Vincent Huang New Member

Oh sorry guys I'm back. I'm thinking about buying maybe a GSXR from the classifieds. What classes am I old enough to race in?

20. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I definitely recommend listening to the guys on this forum. As fun as GSXR might sound. If you are on a tight budget. A LWT bike will be much easier to deal with. The tire bill alone will be a good bit cheaper on a SV650 or a 250/300cc bike.