1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guns n shit

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Buckwild, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

2. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Jungle!!

Wait...no roses, just crap :D

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I wouldn't call that a smart move but then again we are talking about government so smart left the conversation a long time ago.

4. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes it’s a good repeal. It never defined what mental illness is and how it would apply to individuals. So regardless of the savior having his finger prints on it, it was a bad piece of legislation that also violated the 2nd Amendment. It was a general gun restriction law.
    Also, two year old news.

6. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Yes I am fine with it however I have no clue where you got the idea that’s the reason it was repealed. Where did you get that idea?

badmoon692008 and cav115 like this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Here's the rub with denying somebody with a "mental illness" their right to purchase a gun. Who gets to determine whether the person is mentally ill? Is it a medical doctor (we could talk all day about inefficiencies and problems in the healthcare industry)? Is it a psychiatrist? Is it a psychologist? Is it a judge? Is it a cop/sheriff, and is it a true professional that's got real training, or is it some flunky that took an online course? Or worst of all, is it some bureaucrat processing a form?

What happens when it's illegal for a "crazy person" to own a gun, and some bureaucrat decides that owning a certain type or certain number of guns makes you "crazy"? What about veterans that have sought treatment for PTSD? What about all the people who refuse mental health treatment out of fear of losing their 2nd Amendment rights? Finally, what about the perfectly sane person that buys guns, then snaps later?

The reality is that you cannot preemptively stop crimes like this. The best course of action is to arm more of the populace so they can defend themselves from attack.

kangasj, cav115, wsmc 589 and 2 others like this.
  8. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

As I recall, it was clearly defined as ANYONE receiving social security checks for mental illness. So yeah, documented mental illness = no gun. It makes sense.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What are the qualifications to get a check from SS for a mental illness? It could be the Obama thing but it could have also been a bad law he did in an overreaction.

10. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I'm going out on a limb to say that a doctor has the credentials to determine mental illness. That said, if you're receiving benefits for said mental illness, isn't that an admission that you're mental?

11. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Define mental illness.

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not all mental illnesses mean you should have your rights removed though.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

You just made my point. The law didn’t specifically define mental illness. It was too broad in scope. In any event this is two years old news. It was a bad piece of legislation randomly attaching it to conditional SS payments.

14. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I'm not sure, but if a doctor says you're mental, and you receive a check for it, doesn't that pretty much kill the "Who determines" argument?

15. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Agreed. It does however trigger the background check to determine if your mental illness makes it hazardous to handle & operate a firearm.
    It's a check, not a right revocation.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It all depends on the circumstances. Did you know that the average doctor/patient interaction is less than 16 minutes? There's no way to make determination in that amount of time. Then you have to factor in things like pharma kickbacks. Most doctors gloss over the patient's needs and throw a prescription at them. It doesn't mean you're crazy. And even if you ARE having mental health issues, it does not necessarily make you a threat to yourself or others? Again, what a bill like this does is attempt to make a blanket determination and infringe upon the rights of millions of people.

17. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Hopefully, this is just the beginning.

Next...felons. Not all felons are actually guilty. Plus not all felons are violent. There is NO REASON they should not be allowed to purchase guns. Hell, it's their god given right!

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup: Over Reactor gots nothing on you. LOL.

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

20. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

I've been posting in the dungeon for a week. You guys have converted me from a responsible gun owner to a full on 2A nut. :)

SuddenBraking, beac83 and SnacktimeKC like this.