1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newb Question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by wheelz96, Mar 1, 2019.

1. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

I will be attending Lil Tally the weekend of 4/20 for my first race. Can I just show up and complete all paperwork/registration that day or is there anything I need to do before I show up? I am aware I will need to take the racers school but as far as paperwork is concerned what exactly do I need to do?

Also, I have been racing all my life (sprint cars) and would like to keep my number (96). Is this possible or does WERA provide my number?

Thanks in advance!

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

You should be able to do all the paperwork you need to do at the track. It will help to show up a bit early, or be there Friday night to get in line early.

You can ask for any number you want. I believe the license application includes a place to list your first three choices. Then it depends on how many people are using the number you want.

http://www.wera.com/racers/?x=1098

Go and look for the number you want, and see how many novices are using it and where they are located, and when they last raced.

Good luck!

wheelz96 likes this.
  3. wheelz96

Is the AMA membership I can do at track as well? I was a member almost 20 years ago but I'm sure I would need to become a member all over again. Thanks for the response and looking forward to getting to know all of your tail sections...;)

4. JBall

You can do AMA membership at the track too.

5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

What he said. Any paperwork can be done at the track. BUT your first weekend is a whirlwind and can be overwhelming. So I'd suggest download all paperwork you can, from the website. Fill it all out and mail it in. That way you show up at the track a little more relaxed.

And the one thing I can tell you, that is always a constant with the WERA paddock. Any race team there, anyone you see, walking, on a pit bike, open trailer or 48 foot stacker, if you have ANY question, or need any bit of help, they mostly will stop what they are doing, and help you out.

What bike you ride?

6. wheelz96

Yes sounds like the same racing family I have grown accustomed to over the last 10 years! Racing people are by far some of the nicest and helpful people in this world. Where else will you find somebody elbow deep in grease with blood, sweat, and tears thrashing on someone else's race machine just so they can make it out for qualifying?

I will be started my motorcycle racing on a 18' ZX10R. I know it's not ideal but I'm doing this for fun and this the bike I ride.

I will do my best to complete all paperwork necessary. Can I find everything I need on the WERA website?

Thanks for all the help guys and looking forward to making friends in the pits as well as opening up my ICE cold cooler to all that are parched..

7. wheelz96

Paging Mongo..

I have completed the WERA Motorcycle Roadracing Membership Form. All I need to know now is where do I send it? Can I email it instead? What is the cost? I can't see the cost in the fine print. I would like to get everything done I can prior to arriving at track.

Looking forward to racing with your organization!

8. drop

drop Well-Known Member

9. wheelz96

Ok, I renewed my AMA membership. Now I just need to send my WERA registration to Mongo? Anyone have an email or a fax I can send this to?

Am I correct to say it's $80? It looks like $130 but if I am new to WERA I get a $50 discount. Can someone confirm?

Thanks for all the help guys, you have been great!

10. wheelz96

Oh and on the safety wiring. I have done the basics thus far. Oil fill, oil drain, oil filter, exhaust clamp bolt, caliper bolts, pinch bolts, and the front and rear axle. I read that I also need to do the coolant lines. Is this the same thing as the oil filter with a hose clamp around it? Everything I mentioned I have wired already. I know I need to do the radiator hoses and I assume the fill cap on radiator? Am I missing anything else?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll probably miss something but here goes :D

Email me the membership to [email protected] Good on getting the AMA done, one less thing to mess with. We process licenses every Wednesday and you can email me the Thursday after you send it in for your bike number and ID and then you can get you profile set up on our website and be ready to pre enter the races once they are open and save some cash as well as make things go quicker in the morning. Membership is $80 if you've never held a WERA license. No pre entry for the school, handle that at the track, you will need to fill out an entry form for it but just put your name and ID, no need for the rest if you pre entered the races, otherwise fill all of it out and the races you want to enter. The reg peeps will help you out with it all too. Fill cap on radiator yes, hose clamps no. Bring silicone, if you missed anything that'll get you through the first weekend.

If I missed anything let me know. It's really easy to do but confusing as hell at first so ask away, email works great too.

12. wheelz96

Thank you Mongo. By the way check your email. I sent you a registration form. Let me know if you have everything. Should I still email you on Thursday to get my ID and bike number? Once I have my ID number I can pre register for the races?

With that said, I will be running a close to stock 18' ZX10R. How many classes would be ideal for starting? I will have to do race school and was originally planning to run ASS. Is that enough for day 1? I plan on staying the full weekend so if I can handle more classes (wallet can handle tire bill) I will register for additional classes on Sunday. Thanks again I know these questions get old!

13. wheelz96

Ok folks, looks like I am officially registered and will be joining the WERA family soon!

Can someone here recommend a decal guy to make me up some numbers?

14. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Popshadow.com

Supergirl and wheelz96 like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Questions is what I'm here for and they oddly don't get old.

Everything looks good, email me Thursday and yes, I'll send you the info to get set up to pre enter.

I wouldn't do more than 2 classes per day to start. Just get a feel for it all and then go from there. One for the first day isn't a bad idea at all.

wheelz96 likes this.
  16. wheelz96

I got my number and ordered some vinyl. However, I only ordered the nose and tail of the bike without realizing I need the lowers. Is this a rule? I will have nose and tail with yellow background but on my bellypan I have my numbers on side it's just not a yellow background. Will this keep me from racing?

17. JBall

Your numbers will be fine for the first weekend.

18. wheelz96

Sounds like I will be forgiven the first weekend for alot of things. Is this the same thing as giving someone their first hit of crack for free?

Thanks for the help all and looking forward to being a grid filler..

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

You do have a full belly pan and not a stock Open one correct?

20. wheelz96

Correct. I'm dressed in Armour Bodies. Still need to finish some safety wiring but should be in good shape for the shape I'm in...

TLR67 likes this.