1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pilot SuperSport car tires at discount

Discussion in 'General' started by mike-guy, Feb 26, 2019.

1. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I found some Michelin Pilot SuperSports that have been discontinued for half the price normal sticker which is also half of what the replacement tire cost. The store is online and the guy promised they will not be older than 4 years. I'd hope they were stored inside and what not the entire time.

So are 4 year old "Max performance summer" tires fine? (v8 mustang, few autocross events and trackdays planned)

DJ Baker likes this.
  2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Depends how they were stored. That’s the biggest factor.

Hawk518 likes this.
  3. mike-guy

I thought about that and asked but he said they are basically just a middle man and don't store them themselves. It's a legit website just not on the tire rack level

4. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Even if they are older as long as they are “safe” and half the price who cares? If the tires aren’t at “peak” performance like a fresh set it’s not like being on a bike

BigBird likes this.
  5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

What site? I could use a backup set for my bimmer.

6. mike-guy

I've ran 2 year old race slicks that I knew the history of and they were fine. I figured street tires (albeit summer tires) should age better. I'm not wanting to drop big money on this set because I may or may not like what I've done with the car and think it may become more track oriented. In which cares wider wheels and tires would be happening. In other words they are ordered

Simpletire.com

thrak410 likes this.
  7. thrak410

Thanks.. still over $450/tire though.

8. mike-guy

My lord I couldn't imagine spending that much. $120 a tire for my 245/45/17's. I know it goes up exponentially with wheel size though.

9. thrak410

295/30 19”, running a staggered setup, so the fronts are cheaper since they're 245/35 but yeah it's crazy.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just get some cheap falcons or toyos when I'm tooling around on the street and save the nice rubber for the courses, but I don't have a tire machine, so that's more expense lol

10. I tried that on my M3 several years back. Bought some Yokohama "ultra performance" all-seasons, that were about half the price of the Michelin Pilot SS. It was not a pleasant experience. Despite supposedly being compatible with the car, I found the sidewalls weren't stiff enough, so the tires squirmed all over the place, and I could easily spin the rears under moderate acceleration.

And this was in the US, where street speeds are low.

11. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I bought some MP4S 275/40/19 take offs from an S550 Mustang PP1 car for about 1/2 price. Although 4 yrs is on the edge of the 5yr envelope, Id rather do current year "new" take-offs.

Pretty easy to find in stock sizes, many switch straight to All-Seasons, Drags or larger summer tires right off the lot. In my case I bought 2 for the front to go to a square set-up on 10" wheels all around.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Are you sure you want max performance summer tires no matter the price? You may be better off buying a set of less expensive and long lasting A/S performance tires and getting more bang for buck at similar or even less money?

13. mike-guy

I put maybe 4K miles on it a year and it’s seldomly at a mild pace. I’ve never had good times on this car other than drag slicks so anything will be better then the crap 225s I had.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

A new set of 4 year old tires and you drive on average 4k per year. So they'll be toast at 16K or so and they'll be 8 years old? Are you going to be happy with these in 3 years?

15. Otherwise known as „no season“ tires.

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Actually known for better mileage than true summer tires and they won't cold crack

17. They work great for family sedans and minivans.

18. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Mostly yes but try the Mich AS3+. Thank me later.

19. mike-guy

Tires are in and three are late 2017 production and one is late 2015. So for $450 to my door I'll take it all day.

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

What is "safe?"

I don't cheap on tires today, I spend too much time on the road, middle of nowhere, constantly changing conditions - road/weather. So, I am very selective, if not choosy.

However, I can remember having a direct line to the local tire repair shop that serviced public vehicles (police).
    I was always on the lookout for a good set of Goodyear Eagles (late 80's). Even the hot-iron grooved tires, provided some measure of performance, for a little while.