1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing rear shock?

Discussion in 'General' started by ToofPic, Feb 25, 2019.

1. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

In my old garage,I usually strapped the bike into the rafters.I just bought a JRI shock,and now live in a foofy apartment.My garage has no open rafters,should I just buy jack stands and put under footpegs?
    Any suggestions?
    I've replaced my shocks,and several of my friends in the past,but not without a way to suspend the rear end.
    How do I keep the sub frame from collapsing?
    Thanks in advance!

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Got a ladder?

ToofPic likes this.
  3. Jack stands in a tight space or as said if you have a good a frame ladder in a pinch.

ToofPic likes this.
  4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Not sure of the bike you have, but why would the subframe collapse? The swingarm would 'collapse' and be hanging in limbo once the shock was removed.

ToofPic likes this.
  5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Extra pair of hands to hold up the tail while you extract the shock. If you need to leave it out for awhile, stack some 2x6’s or something between the tire and the subframe.

ToofPic likes this.
  6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes Jackstands.... rear wheel off makes it easy too. if you want to knock it out one night bring it over..I have a set that works well...

ToofPic likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

does the bike still have a kickstand?

8. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Scissor jack between tire and subframe.

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Peg stands are the way to go. Pull the rear wheel where the swingarm will move easily also. Jack stands work in a pinch, if you don’t have rearsets on it slide a bar through the swingarm bolt and support it from there.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Once youve done it in the dirt, at the track with jackstands, a beer and a flashlight you wont even hesitate to use jack stands in the garage.

Yes pull the rear wheel first...so much easier.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

I can visualize how this works... and how it could fail spectacularly.

I just put jack stands under the foot pegs after getting the rear tire off the ground so that I can remove it.

terminus est likes this.
  12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have done the jack stands under fixed foot pegs many times on a 2003 R1, and once each on a 2007 Tuono and 2004 SV650 with no issues. For safest results: Stands as close to the frame as possible, level ground, front wheel chocked or on stand that won't slide. My workspace has a very slight forward bias, so I just put something heavy in front of the front stand.

13. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Made my own 'jack stands' in a pinch. I drilled a hole in 2 2x4s, and I put my Vortex pegs through them.

Front wheel in a Baxley chock; rear wheel removed. I lifted rear end, and I had my wife put the 2x4s on each peg. I then dropped the rear of the bike so that it was sitting on the 2x4s. Swapped the shock. Everything was stable and easy.

edit: This obviously would only work with fixed pegs. It will not work with OEM rearsets that fold. Same deal as using jack stands.

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

ToofPic likes this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Ladder and a rachet strap are the only way to go.

18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

if u don't have a ladder or jack stands, u could find a beam in the ceiling, drill some holes, and sink in some lag eye bolts. hang the bike from those. two 3/8"x2" should be more than strong enough.

19. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Yeah, I use to tie off into beams.
    Crummy city living garage has no exposed beams,just gonna use jack stands.
    Thanks everybody for the replys :bow:

20. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Of course if the nut that connects the seat to the throttle is completely wacked, it could easy go wrong. That nut should not be removing shocks. It worked at the race track when Traxxion was rebuilding a shock for us overnight during a race weekend.