1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question - Flying International into Atlanta

Discussion in 'General' started by Robin172, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Heading to Europe in the summer and am looking at flying from and to Atlanta. We flew from there once before and the return left a lot to be desired.

They had this crazy system where once through immigration you picked your bags up, went through customs and then had to deposit your bags again, get a shuttle to another building and then wait at another baggage carousel to retrieve said bags. Anyone know if this still happens?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Is Atlanta your nearest airport?

I hate that place. I had to call Hairgel to get directions out of that place. Not driving but to get out of the actual damn terminal.

3. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

It hasn't been like that in some time.

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Its probably taken me an average of 10 minutes to get through immigration over the last year.

5. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Think that place is bad try dropping off or picking up someone from DFW..

DrA5 and Phl218 like this.
  6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Only place I really try to avoid entering the USA is Miami. That place is always a shit show.

Where are you located?

notbostrom and beechkingd like this.
  7. Robin172

No we'll be flying in and out from a nearby airport. Last time we went we drove there in a rental, that was an experience I never want to repeat.

That's good to know.

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The two places closest to you where we have always had smooth experiences were DFW and SDF. ATL is a madhouse. For the sheet size, DFW processes really well. SDF is small but it's pretty impressive how well they manage.

9. Robin172

We're in Kentucky, narrowed it down to Huntington, WV via Charlotte to Heathrow or Charleston, WV via Atlanta to Heathrow.

10. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

That was during construction of the new international terminal. Its all good now.

RM Racing likes this.
  11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I try to use Detroit when possible but my international flights always seem to be through JFK or ATL. I really have never had a problem with either tbh though.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don't hate that place. Rental car return is a little funky but it's no where near as bad as SFO although the tolls hidden away around DFW are a bit annoying.

13. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I'd go Charlotte over Atlanta. Went in and out of there international a couple times and was always pretty easy. I'm Detroit local so thats my main goal to skip the country, super easy there.

But if the choices are ATL or Charlotte, go Charlotte. Depending on the time of year, Charlotte will have way fewer delays and cancellations than ATL who seems to get some weird weather that really sends shit sideways (disclaimer: on any given day things can go pear shaped at any airport, so sometimes its just luck of the draw)

14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

A lot depends on when you're traveling. I've seen short lines and I've seen long lines. But, after getting Global Entry, I'm happy to just walk past those lines.

All of this stuff is normal with international travel if you're connecting to another airport
    - pick up your bags
    - go through customs
    - check bags again (stash your booze that you picked up duty free and hope it doesn't send you overweight. Even though you could carry it on from whereever, you can't carry it on a domestic flight)
    - shouldn't have to touch your bags again until you get home

There was an intermediary step that was eliminated with the new intl terminal, as Paige said.

15. Robin172

Yep, been in and out of Charlotte a bunch of times, had a problem there a few years ago when the weather caused an issue, got delayed and missed the flight to the UK. They did put us on another flight but it was via Frankfurt.

It's a shorter layover in Atlanta that's why I'm looking at that option.

16. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Are you set on Heathrow? Gatwick is much easier to use IMO.

17. Robin172

The arrival and departure times aren't as convenient for our travel dates, it is also more expensive to fly there.

18. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Ah. I always flew there for work and didn't GAF about cost.

Is there anything in and out of Newark, NJ? I always had good luck connecting through there.

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The new International Terminal is F and it has it's own baggage customs area and this speeds things up. If using ATL look into which terminal you are using so you can plan accordingly

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Newark!?!? F that place! It's dark, smells like BO and jizz and is just a pain in the ass.